News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD: Vintage Traynor!

Started by pryde, November 03, 2013, 12:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Just wanted to show off my new score, a 1972 vintage Traynor YGM-3. I have been lucky enough to service a few vintage traynors in my shop and always absolutely loved them. I decided to keep my radar peeled for one and was lucky to score this 100% original one for a song. These sleeper amps are built like tanks and used the highest quality mojo goodies out there. (notice those gorgeous Mullard mustard caps!)

After a full re-cap, mandatory grounded power cord install, and a new speaker she sings like an angel. I also install an adjustable bias trimmer on these as they are notorious for fixed high bias current (~40ma per tube  :o). This one has all original Philips/Mullard EL84 and 12ax7s but I put a better matched set of JJ EL84s in the power section and they sound great.

What do they sound like? Equal parts Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Vox AC30. The tube-driven reverb and trem is lush and Purdy  :)

Matt

That's sweet, someone is selling one locally, haven't pulled the trigger yet.  What's a good price for one?
Matt

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

oldhousescott

Congrats and good choice on the C-rex!

pryde

Quote from: Dc10 on November 03, 2013, 01:05:08 AM
That's sweet, someone is selling one locally, haven't pulled the trigger yet.  What's a good price for one?

Well I was VERY lucky and got this one for $300 from an old fella who had it sitting in the closet for 30 years. The going rate is from $450-$650. Seriously even at $650 you are getting a pure vintage gem worth every penny of that. Expect to figure in cost for a re-cap if its original, and a speaker change is probably in order as the stock Marsland is the amp's weak point.

stecykmi

very cool. i _found_ one of these in a dumpster earlier this spring but i have yet to get around to replacing the tubes to get it functional.

pickdropper

A buddy of mine has a couple of Traynor Bassmaster heads.  They are quite nice.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jprizz

That's definitely a really sweet find. Green eyed now.

GermanCdn

Nicely done, Traynor's are way underated, probably because they're Canadian, and are too modest to boast about how good they are.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

timbo_93631

Quote from: stecykmi on November 03, 2013, 09:02:56 PM
very cool. i _found_ one of these in a dumpster earlier this spring but i have yet to get around to replacing the tubes to get it functional.

If you need to find a place for it to go I'm sure I could give it a good home!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pryde

Quote from: timbo_93631 on November 04, 2013, 09:56:54 PM
Quote from: stecykmi on November 03, 2013, 09:02:56 PM

If you need to find a place for it to go I'm sure I could give it a good home!

No kidding man. I thought I got a good deal. Can't beat free.

I have worked on to many amps to name, vintage and modern and the Traynor is every bit as good than the finest vintage or boutique amps out there. Exceptional tone/cost ratio.