News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New toy

Started by aballen, November 03, 2013, 12:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

So I'm traveling for work a lot lately and my next trip will be for two weeks.  I just can't live without a guitar for that long.  My Kirn strat is just too nice to put on a plane so I went looking for reasonably priced guitar to travel with.

So I got My first tele and I have to say I'm pretty pleased so far. It's an FSR tele.

Already put on Schaller locking tuners and I'll be looking for wilkinson compensated saddle as well.  The pickups may get upgraded as at some point. They are pretty low output, butch traveling it does not really matter.  I'm going to give it some time before I decide on that one.

It's my first fixed bridge solid body.  I really like it.  I put on 11s after changing the tuners and the tone is just great.

I think would have preferred a satin finish on the neck anyone know how to properly burnish the neck?

Anyway, lovey new toy.  I don't know why I did not get a tele earlier.

jimilee

Love love love teles!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

Low output pickups leery all the tone and picking nuances come thru.
Nice looking Tele, that's exactly how I want mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
one louder.

pryde

Nice tele. For the satin neck finish just take some 0000 steel wool and work the finish. Its not very aggressive so you can go at it gradually.

JakeFuzz

Very nice. I have a similar looking tele and I love it. I always liked the FSR line too.

That is sweet little 4x10 setup too. Bassman clone?

For the neck I typically go with two different finish types. For a satin finish I take an old sock with cheapo unscented toothpaste and rub that on and off like Mister Miyagi. To bring it back to high gloss I rub in 3M Finesse-It II with a microfiber cloth.

aballen

Thats my 4x8" cab... its really poorly constructed, but it works.  Sitting on top is my firefly amp.  This pic is in my office downstairs... I have a "real" amp upstairs with all my guitars and pedals.  The firefly is great I can play it in the evening without upsetting the neighbors.  I just got two 8" 8 ohm guitar speakers from parts-express here http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-079  I'm going to make a single speaker cab(or two to play with my stereo small clone)  not sure if you can see but my 2 year old decided to push in the cones on all four speakers.  Still sounds fine with a 1 watt amp but they were from parts-express too, cheapies, so I think I'll just scrap em.

Thanks for the tips on the neck guys.  I prefer satin finished necks, I like the look but also I fond that the glossy ones can stick to my hand so the neck does not feel as fast or smooth. This seems to play well so far though... I'm join got start with the paper bag, move up to wool.  Really enjoying my new tele.

Quote from: JakeFuzz on November 03, 2013, 07:24:30 AM
Very nice. I have a similar looking tele and I love it. I always liked the FSR line too.

That is sweet little 4x10 setup too. Bassman clone?

For the neck I typically go with two different finish types. For a satin finish I take an old sock with cheapo unscented toothpaste and rub that on and off like Mister Miyagi. To bring it back to high gloss I rub in 3M Finesse-It II with a microfiber cloth.

aballen

Well I spent some time setting her up, and man its a pretty decent little guitar. I straightened out the neck after switching to 11s, dropped the saddles so the action is pretty good, and raised the neck pickup, so I'm getting much better output, not what I would call hot, but certainly not low output either.

The bridge pickup does not seem to want to move... I'm not sure if the pocket is iff and its jammed in there or what, but I don't want to force it either.  The three screws around the pickup should move the pickup up and down right?

I my become a tele convert.  Really seems like a good guitar.

rullywowr

Awesome find man. I don't always play my tele, but when I do, I prefer my Texas highway one. I put the Ritchie kotzen pickups in it and she is a screamer. I'm really a Les Paul guy at heart so the fixed bridge is great!

I also recommend the 6 saddle upgrade to nail the intonation. To hell with keeping it "vintage", is rather have it in tune!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GermanCdn

Quote from: aballen on November 04, 2013, 12:50:28 PM
The bridge pickup does not seem to want to move... I'm not sure if the pocket is iff and its jammed in there or what, but I don't want to force it either.  The three screws around the pickup should move the pickup up and down right?

Take a look at what they've used for tensioners on the back side of the bridge plate.  If they've used the surgical tubing spacers and they've cut it too long, you're going to have a hard time getting more height out of it as they tend to bind up a bit.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

aballen

I pulled off the bridge and the pickup is definitely wedged against the body.  I'm not sure if it's the pickup or the bridge or the body route.

I did order a new wilkinson bridge with compensated saddles so when I get it I'll figure out what need tweaking.

Still it plays great,  amazing for such a cheap little guitar.

raulduke

Can't beat a good tele.

Stick some wilkinson compensated saddles on there and you can keep the Tele vibe, but get the intonation.

aballen

wilkinson bridge as well, its steel so I think it should work as a drop in replacement... my intonation is pretty close after some work, but I think the compensated saddles will really help me get it perfect.  I like the vintage ashtray and three saddle look though.

raulduke

I agree; three saddles is the way to go with a Tele for sure.

6 just don't look right (although Keef doesn't seem to mind)!

aballen

Got it set up, intonation is perfect now, and it really plays nice.  popped in an orange drop cap, can't say I can hear a difference though.  Just loving the tele sound

alanp

Quote from: raulduke on November 06, 2013, 02:23:43 PM
I agree; three saddles is the way to go with a Tele for sure.

6 just don't look right (although Keef doesn't seem to mind)!

It's the other way around with Cabronita style ones :) Very nice looking gat.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website