News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how to snap the 30-PIN SIP SOCKET

Started by Gledison, November 02, 2013, 02:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys!
Juat got this transistors strip socket and when i snapped three of them i snapped the crap all of it:p
How shall i snap the bloody thing off?
Cheers
Gledison
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

kothoma

Hold the fourth with flat pliers and push the first three between thumb and index finger.
(That's how I do it, assuming you're talking of these )

Jean-Rock

I use small cutter and it works well for me !
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com

croquet hoop

Quote from: jonnyrockgear on November 02, 2013, 02:19:10 PMI use small cutter and it works well for me !

Same. I lay it flat and cut with a utility knife. "Lock" the blade in a ridge, press firmly, and it snaps easily.

stevie1556

Stanley knife for me as well.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

jimilee

I was using pliers but got lazy, they snap pretty easily for me, kind of insert your thumb nail and gently bend
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

Hey!
Mine looks like this!
I think a knife could be the best solution...
Thanks

croquet hoop

Yeah, those are utterly unpractical, you always lose one row when you break them. Try getting the kind shown by kothoma, they're much better, and take less vertical space too.

Jean-Rock

Quote from: Gledison on November 02, 2013, 03:04:46 PM
Hey!
Mine looks like this!
Thanks

Oh !! I understand why you find it hard to cut....You'd be better to get an other socket like the pic above !
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com

Gledison

Quote from: jonnyrockgear on November 02, 2013, 03:11:05 PM
Quote from: Gledison on November 02, 2013, 03:04:46 PM
Hey!
Mine looks like this!
Thanks

Oh !! I understand why you find it hard to cut....You'd be better to get an other socket like the pic above !
Yep! The ones above seems muchhhh better!!!

pickdropper

Yeah, there is a difference.  The ones Gledison has are for pin headers.   They won't really work as component sockets even if you can cut them cleanly.  Very useful with the mating pin headers, though.

The snap-off pin headers are really what you want to use for components.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Gledison

RobA

Quote from: pickdropper on November 02, 2013, 03:36:01 PM
Yeah, there is a difference.  The ones Gledison has are for pin headers.   They won't really work as component sockets even if you can cut them cleanly.  Very useful with the mating pin headers, though.

The snap-off pin headers are really what you want to use for components.
Yeah. The pin headers are good for connections you insert and remove all the time since they don't do any damage to the thing you're inserting. I use them for making jumper connections on breakout boards I make for breadboarding. I haven't figured out a clean way to cut them without sacrificing one hole each time. I don't think you can avoid it. But, now that Tayda has them very cheap it's not such a big deal.

For socketing components, you really want the type that Tayda calls 40 pin SIP sockets. They hold tighter.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Matt

I use end cutters and only cut halfway through.  It breaks off easily after that.  Haven't had too many casualties.
Matt

catfud

I've looked at using this kind of pin header soldered onto a board, to connect it to a solderless breadboard, and the pin fits fine in the pin header, but what do you use at the solderless breadboard end of the breakout cable? The same kind of pin header?