News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Accidentally ordered a stereo "open-frame shorting jack" as my stereo jack.Help?

Started by Vice/President, November 01, 2013, 12:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice/President

Hi guys/gals.  I'm a first time builder getting ready to build a Dirt & Boost pedal I ordered from diyguitarpedals.au.  I ordered all my hardware from Mammoth Electronics, and I noticed when they came in, my stereo jacks had four lugs.  I checked my order and I accidentally ordered an open-framed shorting jack.  Will this still work for a guitar pedal, and if so, what will be different when it comes time for wiring it up? I apologize if this is a big noob question, but I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

pickdropper

Sure, you can use those.  Basically, when you plug in a guitar cable , one set of contacts will be disconnected.

Do you have a meter than can check continuity?  The best way to know which contacts to use is to check the tip and sleeve of a guitar cable when plugged in and see which contacts on the socket still have continuity.

You can usually check visually as well.  When you plug into the jack, there are spring contacts that physically disconnect.  You can usually see where the contacts disconnect.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Spot on. It will work fine, and especially if you plan to put a 9v and a dc jack in your project.  Only drawback is that it may be slightly larger in size but that's not a big deal at all.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

croquet hoop

I think that Tayda's close frame jacks are similar, with four or five lugs... as pickdropper said, just check the continuity to see which lugs to use (tip & sleeve) when a jack is inserted and you'll be fine.

Vice/President

Thank you guys! I do indeed have a meter that can check continuity.  I appreciate the help!