News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bubba FET (complete)

Started by jubal81, October 31, 2013, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fendman

Jason, this is absolutely brilliant. Definately my favourite build of the year.
Cheers
Mike

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

jtn191

Chi_Boy

All that switching going on and the wiring is soooo neat.  That is a work of art.  Truly a masterpiece.

Congrats!

jubal81

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. It really means a lot after all I put into it.

Now that I've had a few weeks to play with it, I'm really appreciating how useful it actually is. I was worried that it might be a monstrosity of redundancy - like they'd all sound too similar or that I'd end up only using a favorite. However, there's a really big difference between them and they're all great and I find each inspiring in its own way, which is the best part - when something you build actually makes you feel creative.

Some follow up thoughts:
Blackbird: I REALLY love this one and highly recommend it. Easily the most versatile of them all. Low gain, high gain, even as just a boosted tone stack it can add a brilliant, thick charm.
Umble: This could easily be an always-on pedal. Really great as just a clean boost.
Voxy: Been using this as the high-gain option. Satisfying crunch. Can't wait until someone breaks down the new ACE30. Might be swapping out a circuit board before too long ;)
Plexi/RAH: Using these as medium-gain, each with it's own flavor.

I'm also getting spoiled by the soft-touch switches - feels so much smoother than a standard 3PDT.
I've also considered adding a power/headphone amp and some reverb to make a really sweet portable rig. Gonna keep rolling that idea around.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Yeah, I am starting to really like relay bypass as well.  The only real downside is the expense of it.

I've been meaning to add a headphone solution to my breadbox prototype setup.  I haven't really settled on a circuit I want to use for it though.  I have a handful of hi-fi headphone amps here but none of them sound right and are likely overkill for this application.  Have you settled on a headphone circuit you like?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Quote from: pickdropper on November 24, 2013, 02:18:37 PM
Yeah, I am starting to really like relay bypass as well.  The only real downside is the expense of it.

I've been meaning to add a headphone solution to my breadbox prototype setup.  I haven't really settled on a circuit I want to use for it though.  I have a handful of hi-fi headphone amps here but none of them sound right and are likely overkill for this application.  Have you settled on a headphone circuit you like?

I haven't liked the chip-amp ones I've tried. Someone posted a schematic from Douglas Self on FSB recently that uses discrete mosfets that has me intrigued.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

raulduke

Holy sh*t balls!

How did I not see this before.

Awesome build dude!

raulduke

Quote from: pickdropper on November 24, 2013, 02:18:37 PM

A pocket pod may be a good, though non-DIY, option. You get some amp emulations to boot.

mshuptar

This is incredible! Very cool!

Govmnt_Lacky

Who knows... maybe it will win this month's competition!  ;)

Now go vote for it! Uhhhh...errrrm  ::)