News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking to build Boost with EQ, need advice.

Started by smallpoxchampion, October 30, 2013, 07:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallpoxchampion

So a friend has tasked me to build a boost with eq. He's currently using the Electroharmonix Nano LPB-1 and is unhappy with the abundance of low-end. So I did some poking around and found a layout from general guitar gadgets- http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pro ... graphic-eq

First question, has anyone build this with the 5 band eq and gain knob? If so, would that gain knob act as a boost? My fear is that the gain knob would distort too heavily which is not what i'm looking for. More of a clean boost that you can EQ.
My other thought, is it better to have these two effects as separate entities as two different pedals? There's so many great boost projects out there just wondering what angle to attack this build with.

Thanks! any and all feedback is appreciated.

GermanCdn

FWIW, both Thomas H and Josh (1776 effects) both have excellent EQ projects ready to go depending on the size of the enclosure you're looking to put it in.  If you're looking for a clean boost after it, either Brian's (madbean) bacon bits or Jacob's (jmk pedals) Wakizashi boost will fit the bill with relatively low real estate requirements.  The fatpants is also a great boost, but it does add colour, and it takes up more room than the other two. 

As far as single or dual pedals, if you're looking for pedal board real estate you could put both in one enclosure, and if you're really adventurous, order up some flipper switches from OSH Park (files are in the Eagle thread) and you can position the boost before or after the eq with the flip of a switch.

Welcome to the forum.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

I have found that, with the 6 shooter and all the knobs pas 12 you get a natural boost. That's just my personal experience.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

I would do a Madbean Thunderpuss and a 1776 SixShooter in one box if I was making it. I have had great success with both layouts. just my $1 worth.

marmaliser

Raudluke's tonemieser. Is an excellent eq n boost. Not sure if he has any boards left though
Or you could try a glitterati (xotic ac/rc booster)

micromegas

Quote from: marmaliser on October 30, 2013, 09:26:55 PM
Raudluke's tonemieser. Is an excellent eq n boost. Not sure if he has any boards left though
Or you could try a glitterati (xotic ac/rc booster)

Glitterati ~ xotic bb preamp

Quasar ~ xotic ac/rc booster (I've built a quasar RC and it works like a charm)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

gtr2

The lit'l red booster I sell also is a nice boost that can add a little grit if needed and has a treble pot.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

Quote from: smallpoxchampion on October 30, 2013, 07:14:50 PM
So a friend has tasked me to build a boost with eq. He's currently using the Electroharmonix Nano LPB-1 and is unhappy with the abundance of low-end. So I did some poking around and found a layout from general guitar gadgets- http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pro ... graphic-eq

First question, has anyone build this with the 5 band eq and gain knob? If so, would that gain knob act as a boost? My fear is that the gain knob would distort too heavily which is not what i'm looking for. More of a clean boost that you can EQ.
My other thought, is it better to have these two effects as separate entities as two different pedals? There's so many great boost projects out there just wondering what angle to attack this build with.

Thanks! any and all feedback is appreciated.

The Tonmeister PCB's I did pretty much cover all these bases.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6905.msg60254#msg60254

It can also be used as a clean boost when setting all tone controls to twelve'o'clock and adjusting the boost control.

Unfortunately I sold out a while ago, but I was going to place a small order for some more (approx 10).

I use my own build a lot; it comes in really handy for a variety of tasks!

Let me know if you would like more info!