News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FaceBender

Started by pickdropper, October 30, 2013, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is another 1590a 2-in-1 build.  It has a Si Fuzz Face and a Si Tonebender.  The switch on the side chooses which one is active.  I decided not to do a 3PDT true bypass toggle on the side as I am unlikely to use both effects at the same time and I wanted to be able to enable/bypass either one with the footswitch.

This is the board I am contributing to the Function FX fundraiser board pack.  While SMT may be new to some folks, this is actually a really good, simple starter board.  The board is setup so the top of the board houses the Tonebender and the bottom has the Fuzz Face.  The circuits are totally separate, so you can build one, the other or both.  The trimmers are obviously all full size and all can be put on the top so they are easy to access.

It is a bit tight trying to fit it all with the side switch into a 1590a, but mostly because of all of the wires. It can easily be fit into a 1590b without much struggle.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

croquet hoop

More SMD goodness, yay  8)

Perfectly executed, as usual. Great choice for the short shaft switch on the side, is it a standard switch or a "submini" (with a smaller body)?

Also, which transistors did you use? I never checked which of those we generally use are available in SOT-23 package.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on October 30, 2013, 01:29:32 PM
More SMD goodness, yay  8)

Perfectly executed, as usual. Great choice for the short shaft switch on the side, is it a standard switch or a "submini" (with a smaller body)?

Also, which transistors did you use? I never checked which of those we generally use are available in SOT-23 package.

The side switch has a standard size body, the switch tip is just smaller.  I probably should've used a submini, it would've made the build easier.
Function f(x)

jprizz

Okay not only is it a build in a 1590A, it's a freakin' 4 knob, 2-in-1 build in a 1590A and there is STILL a generous amount of open space still left in there. Good gravy there is so much awesomeness going on here!

ah hum... I mean... I won't be impressed until I see a 6 knob, 3-in-1 build in a 1590A with an effects loop and 2 stomp switches.  :o rolls eyes  :P
-Josh

pickdropper

Quote from: jprizz on October 30, 2013, 04:44:37 PM
Okay not only is it a build in a 1590A, it's a freakin' 4 knob, 2-in-1 build in a 1590A and there is STILL a generous amount of open space still left in there. Good gravy there is so much awesomeness going on here!

ah hum... I mean... I won't be impressed until I see a 6 knob, 3-in-1 build in a 1590A with an effects loop and 2 stomp switches.  :o rolls eyes  :P
-Josh

Well, I can't quite there, but I did once do a 2-in-1 with a double sided PCB, 6 knobs , 3 LEDs, a stomp switch for one effect and a 3PDT toggle for the other one.  It was a Shoot the Moon Tremolo and Little Angel chorus.

Sufficed to say, wiring that one was a bit miserable. 
Function f(x)

m-Kresol

That is one fine build! And it really looks as if there is tons of spare room left. Are these regular 16mm pots or a smaller version?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 16, 2013, 07:57:32 PM
That is one fine build! And it really looks as if there is tons of spare room left. Are these regular 16mm pots or a smaller version?

The pots are 9mm.  I think the thickness of the 16mm pots would preclude using a toggle switch on the side.

I would recommend making careful measurements for the side toggle.  There isn't a ton of vertical wiggle room between the pots and the board.  If you use a sub-mini switch, it will make your life easier as well.  If I ever do another one of these, that is what I'll use.
Function f(x)

alanp

Don't know how I missed this report!

I have plans for my facebender board... pretty much polar opposite plans of PD's ;) :)

Tidy as always! (Don't you ever do messy stuff?)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on December 17, 2013, 04:09:28 AM
Don't know how I missed this report!

I have plans for my facebender board... pretty much polar opposite plans of PD's ;) :)

Tidy as always! (Don't you ever do messy stuff?)

Often, while building, the workspace turns into a disaster area.  I think I need to keep the builds neat to offset that.  Out of chaos comes order.
Function f(x)

hylandren

Hey, wait a minute.....no natural aluminum knobs?
Okay, who is this really?
Seriously, that's an incredible build!

raulduke

I don't know how I didn't notice this before.

Awesome build as usual!

You make stuffing loads into a 1590A look incredibly easy!

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings