News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

road rage polarity inverter question

Started by hoodoo, October 30, 2013, 07:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

G'day to all Matt here. I'm putting together a pnp tonebender and would like to use the road rage, so i can use a negative ground power supply. i'd like some advice from those in the know. This is my first positive ground pedal i've built and i think i'm overthinking things a bit. I've managed to locate a diagram showing the +ve and -ve from the power supply to the road rage and from the road rage to the pcb, sweet. What i'm not sure of, on the projects page the diagram that shows what components to use on the road rage for polarity inversion, includes a sag control. If i don't wish to use this what do i leave off the board. Also, is the rest of the wiring of the effect/3pdt done exactly like a negative ground effect. I have tried to research this, but i'm second guessing myself now, would like clarification please.
Also, Moderators, it would be good to have the various wiring diagrams/layouts for the road rages different applications attached to the project document, if this request is unreasonable, let me know and i'll give myself a good hiding  ;)
Thanks, Matt.

Guitarmageddon

Hey Matt.
For power inversion the only RR (v3) components you need are D3, C3, 4 & 5 and the IC of course.
The RR needs 9v+ and ground connections from the DC plug. Your bender gets it's -9v from the RR and it's ground goes to ground just like everything else.
Anything else, led etc, get's wired as normal.
No need to overthink it. ;)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

RobA

Quote from: Guitarmageddon on October 30, 2013, 09:40:54 AM
Hey Matt.
For power inversion the only RR (v3) components you need are D3, C3, 4 & 5 and the IC of course.
The RR needs 9v+ and ground connections from the DC plug. Your bender gets it's -9v from the RR and it's ground goes to ground just like everything else.
Anything else, led etc, get's wired as normal.
No need to overthink it. ;)
Yeah, this is the way. You just leave the sag off the board if you don't want it. Just remember that the ground is the ground (I've heard that somewhere else recently :D). Since you are generating a voltage that is -9V w.r.t. the ground, there's no longer any need for figuring out what's ground and what's -9V.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

hoodoo