News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Feedback on Tayda Stomp Switches

Started by davent, October 27, 2013, 12:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

I've used the Tayda 3p2t switches without issue where i've read of others having their problems with these.

I was looking for feedback on some of their other offerings such as the soft touch momentary as well as the small bodied 2P2T which resembles the Alphas offered by Small Bear. Really like the Alphas i've tried, lower profile and a softer touch to actuate.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/spst-momentary-soft-touch-push-button-stomp-foots-pedal-switch.html

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/dpdt-compact-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-momentary.html

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/dpdt-compact-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-latching-pcb.html

Thanks guys!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

You know I've gotten a bad 3p4t switch from smallbear and the only bad pt2399 I've had came from mouser. I think that because everybody including myself orders in mass quantities from tayda, these thing surface a lot quicker. I haven't gotten a bad soft touch momentary yet from tayda. Maybe I'm wrong though. But no I like their soft touch momentary.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Clayford

I have gone through about 2 dozen of the 3pdt taydas and quite a few dpdt stomps doing various fixes and upgrades. I have 2 of the momentary softs on my bench and both are working just fine,
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

alanp

In... well, a crapload of pedals, I've only had one 3PDT stomp from Tayda have issues, and even then it still works, the thread on the body/nut has gone loose.

(The Collosalus pedal, btw. Never figured out the whine on that one, so I don't care.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

I've had problems with their 2PDT latching switches so I gave up on those (as well as their 3PDT which felt a little bit lower quality).

I will probably give their momentary 2PDT a try and see if they are any good.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

croquet hoop

I have mixed feelings on their 2PDT momentary switches. They are the same musikding sells by the way. They click a bit hard (yeah, those momentary switches do click), the action on the Alpha latching DPDT is smoother in comparison. Since I ended up throwing the bottom part away and keeping only the actuators it didn't matter in the end, but I think it's worth shelling the extra $2 for the Alpha switch.

pickdropper

Good to note.

Do the small Alpha 2DPT momentary switches click as well?  I can't fathom why they would do that.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

I have no idea, but I remember another thread where midwayfair told me that they do not (here). However, the mechanism must be the same, so I am not so sure (and I remember another thread where Jon explained why a momentary DPDT cannot but click — edit: here).

A definitive answer would be great  8)

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on October 27, 2013, 02:28:12 PM
I have no idea, but I remember another thread where midwayfair told me that they do not (here). However, the mechanism must be the same, so I am not so sure (and I remember another thread where Jon explained why a momentary DPDT cannot but click — edit: here).

Well, I definitely want clickless since I am going to be using them with relays.  In the interest of science, I'll order some from Small Bear and a couple from Tayda for comparison.
Function f(x)

midwayfair

Quote from: croquet hoop on October 27, 2013, 02:28:12 PM

WTF. Was I drunk when I typed that second? I must have been talking about latching switches. Or something.

Obviously clickless MOMENTARY switches exist and I am a thorough idiot if I was not -- the Carling switches have no click and we use those constantly for tap tempo and such. Clickless LATCHING switches, though -- not mechanical that I've ever seen. I mean, the "click" is the sound of the latch resetting.

So the Alpha DPDT momentary switches that Smallbear sells that are also in the Wampler pedals -- no click. The latching ones click, but not as much as 3PDTs.

Relevant to the thread: The Tayda ones click less than a 3PDT but a little more than the genuine Aphas. They do not feel as nice. I don't know about the compact momentaries, though.

davent

Thanks for the replies guys. What i really need is just SPST to control a latching relay for true bypass (Mictester relay setup) but it seems the options are limited for those, preferably a latched switch but no problem to make it work with a momentary. Been very pleased with the few small latching Alphas i've used so probably best to go with something i have history with.

Also going to explore Geofex Pancake switches for controllers.

Mark Hammer did a video some time ago on the workings of stomp switches, disassembles and assembles to show how they work.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?