News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Capos… A discussion

Started by jkokura, October 22, 2013, 04:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: ch1naski on October 23, 2013, 01:41:22 AM
Lol Jimi.. I've never seen a bass player use a capo.

I've never in my life used a capo. I'm not sure what I'm missing.....is it so you can use open chord shapes in non-open keys? For instance, play a C shape chord in C# (4th fret)?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I've never seen another bass player do it either, but for on the fly key changes, it works when I don't want to think too hard. Also, to learn covers when the bands tune down. I can tune my bass down a whole step and then use the capo on the first or second fret and not have to re tune for each song. Also Christian artists do it and play in G,C,D. Don't laugh, it's true!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

Christ Capo.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

one louder.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lincolnic

Quote from: jimilee on October 23, 2013, 05:10:18 AM
I've never seen another bass player do it either, but for on the fly key changes, it works when I don't want to think too hard. Also, to learn covers when the bands tune down. I can tune my bass down a whole step and then use the capo on the first or second fret and not have to re tune for each song. Also Christian artists do it and play in G,C,D. Don't laugh, it's true!

I just finished recording an EP with a band whose bass player used a capo for one song. You're not alone!

croquet hoop

jkokura

So...

I found my old faithful Shubb after all. Also my Kyser Cut Capo. Awesome.

However, I'm still thinking about looking more at that G7th Newport. Also, I'll be getting a Shubb Cut Capo. I sometimes need more than one capo, and I really want to get away from these Dunlop Trigger types. About the only useful thing I think they're good for is for helping me check the relief when doing a good setup on a guitar.

Speaking of - learn to do your own setups. Saves me tonnes of money now that I have more than 3 guitars.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on October 24, 2013, 07:22:31 PM

Speaking of - learn to do your own setups. Saves me tonnes of money now that I have more than 3 guitars.

Jacob

That is the truth.  And there's a guy on ebay who sells the calibrated straight edges (like the StewMac ones) with the cutouts for the frets so you can do your neck adjustments without taking the strings off the guitar for a 1/4 the price (I think I paid $80 for a set of four (bass, acoustic, PRS scale, Fender/Gibson scale)).  That plus a setup gauge and a set of good radius gauges will run you about $100 total, and you'll never have to pay for a simple setup again.  That, and invest the money in a proper stop tailpiece recessed adjustment screwdriver - there's nothing worse than the good old Craftsman slotted screw driver skating out of the slot and scratching up your top.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

das234

I think the choice is obvious...  AMP CAPO!

jimilee

aballen

Keyser capo here.  You know what they say.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

timbo_93631

I don't use them, just lots of barre chords, inversions, and triads/tritons.  Our acoustic players at church heavily rely on them.  But beware of reduced fret life:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Understanding_Frets_and_Fret_Wear
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Clayford

I have a planet waves NS capo and a Kyser 12string. I like them both, complaint on the NS is that it's weak on the headstock and will fall off. And it looks like Jacob is ok anyway since he uses a Shubb.

Quote from: Premier Guitar ArticleThere are several great capos on the market that will diminish fret damage and tuning problems, including Planet Waves Dual Action capo and all the various Shubb models. If your capo doesn't offer a tension adjustment, buy one that does. This will save you a ton of money in fretwork.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded