News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Capos… A discussion

Started by jkokura, October 22, 2013, 04:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Okay, so I can't locate my favourite old Schubb Capo. Things been everywhere with me, but I think it's gone for good now. Also can't find my Kyser Cut Capo either.

So, I'm in the market to replace them.

I should say that I LOVED the Schubb. I have also used Kyser and the Dunlop Trigger ones as well. I still have a pair of Dunlop Trigger type, and while they're useful, they're neither they or the Kyser type are my favourite and I'd rather find another Schubb or try something else for a bit. However, I'm also willing to consider a different Capo if I'm given a good reason.

So with that in mind - what capo do you like or love? Considering I don't really like Kyser and have the dunlop type already, what are some other options? What about cut capos - are there other options than the Kyser out there?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

The next time I need a capo, I'm going to try the NS Design capo from Planet Waves. It's been on my "need to get one" list for a while now, but my Kyser capo just won't die, so I'm still waiting.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GermanCdn

My personal preference is the Dunlop take on the Kyser design (clamps from the back, not from the side).  That being said, I recently bought the new Planet Waves NS capo with the built in tuner, and the clamping mechanism and fine tuning on that thing is sweet, nevermind that you can check your relative tuning stability in the capo'd position.

I also like the old style Dunlop/Shubb capos with the lever and fine tuning screw, as they have less of a tendency to pull your strings sharp when you clamp.  For recording they're all I use, but for live they're a bit cumbersome, as you can't just stick it on your headstock when you're not using it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

LaceSensor

I have the Performance version of one of these:
http://www.g7th.com/

It does all I need. Works with any guitar (spanish, nylon, steel strung acoustic, electric)

culturejam

I don't use a capo all that often, but of the couple I own, I mostly use the Bird of Paradise:

http://bernunzio.com/product/bird-of-paradise-guitar-capo/
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

billstein

I have a Shubb and the G7th both great capos. The G7th is quicker on stage.

jkokura

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 22, 2013, 05:29:02 PM
I have the Performance version of one of these:
http://www.g7th.com/

It does all I need. Works with any guitar (spanish, nylon, steel strung acoustic, electric)

So, I just went to my local shop and got to try both the Perfomance and Newport capos out. Liked them both, but the Performance threw the tuning sharp on the guitar I tested it on in the shop. I could get it to keep the intonation, but the problem was that when it was set light enough the low E (6th) string was buzzing. I don't think it applies pressure across the strings evenly in the amount that I would need it to.

The Newport is actually very similar to the Shubb I like so much. It's similar enough that I think I would like to use it as well, and it didn't seem to have the intonation issues the performance one did. However, like the Shubb, it's not as simple to work with live (won't just grab the headstock).

I was surprised that the G7th capos were made of metal. From the look, I expected plastic.

Other ideas? Right now I'm looking back at the Shubb or the G7th Newport...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

CRBMoA

I don't always play guitar, but when I do, I do not use a capo.

I understand the reasons some do. I just grew up playing bass.

jimilee

Quote from: CRBMoA on October 22, 2013, 10:04:45 PM
I don't always play guitar, but when I do, I do not use a capo.

I understand the reasons some do. I just grew up playing bass.

I've used a capo on my bass when my idiot guitar player wouldn't learn the songs in the right key. That's fun,especially on the next song when I forget to remove it! He got fired though, so I don't anymore.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

Lol Jimi.. I've never seen a bass player use a capo.

I've never in my life used a capo. I'm not sure what I'm missing.....is it so you can use open chord shapes in non-open keys? For instance, play a C shape chord in C# (4th fret)?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
one louder.

jkokura

Close. The effect is that you can use a specific chord form or set of chord forms (i.e a G chord) and while you play that form you can actually sound a different chord. So for example, with a Capo on the 4th fret, a G chord form sounds like a B chord.

There's two main reasons to do this.

1. You can't actually play easily in the key requested. One example of this is playing in Eb. I hate playing in E flat on an Acoustic. In this example, the Root, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth are Eb (Usually played in the second form high up which sounds wrong for the Root), Ab, Bb, and Cmin. It's all bar chords, and it's no fun and rarely actually sounds good. So, instead, you can use a capo on the first fret (turns the guitar to F standard) and play in the key of D (a D chord actually sounds Eb). Continuing this example, the Root, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth become D, G, A, and Bmin. Super easy to play, just one bar chord and it's the easiest.

2. The second reason is for sonic variety. Let's say for example that your song is in the key of G (aren't all P&W/Country songs in G anyway?) and you have two guitarists. Guitarist A, the lead singer also, is banging away on his G, C, Em D chord progression (1, 4, 6, 5). You have to come up with some chords and a picking/strumming pattern that doesn't replicate but also doesn't clash with what he's doing. Throw a Capo on the 3rd fret, and now you can use the chord forms for the key of E, which allows you to use those open style chord forms that leave most of your strings ringing. So, now you're playing an E, A, C#m, B progression at the same time, both of you are sounding identical chords, but neither of you are playing the same chord forms which allows differences to show up.

Both of these reasons are why a capo is one of the most inexpensive and yet most valuable studio tricks you can ever use. Instead of doubling your acoustic rhythm track with identical chord forms, use a capo, switch your chord forms to the appropriate Key, and strum away. Hard pan them, and you'll have some real depth in your recording.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

oldhousescott

I like the G7th Nashville capo. It's a Kyser style, but low tension. If you place it right behind the fret, it doesn't pull sharp too badly.

alanp

Quote from: ch1naski on October 23, 2013, 01:41:22 AM
I've never in my life used a capo. I'm not sure what I'm missing.....is it so you can use open chord shapes in non-open keys? For instance, play a C shape chord in C# (4th fret)?

We use capo's at church to shift songs into different keys. If a song is too low, Dad will automatically reach for the capo to lift it into a better vocal range for us. Dad isn't very good with the technicalities of music, though -- one time we had a classically trained pianist, who asked, "What key is this in?" "Capo two." "What key is that?" "I dunno, capo two?"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

billstein

It's also for tonality. I love the brightness of an acoustic guitar capo'd up around the 5ht fret or so. Plus as Jacob said, if my wife is playing a C chord and I capo on the 5th and play a G chord it is in the same key. same chord but in a different voicing. Gives a fuller sound.

ch1naski

Thanks....that's kind of what I meant....except I said it in a numbskull way. :)

I usually just go for partial and /or inverted chords, but I see the benefits of the capo. I may just have to get one....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

one louder.