News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom OD/ Distortion

Started by soldersqueeze, October 20, 2013, 06:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

This project has been a long time in the making, stemming from many discussions and cups of tea with the new owner. Bit of an unusual project in that a lot of the normal limiting factors such as cost, size, sanity and common sense were thrown out of the window to be replaced with "awesome".
Some pics!

Not as complex as it might look at first, it's a two channel distortion/ OD box. One channel has an Op Amp Muff, Slow Loris and La Vache, each with an off/ on toggle and a flipper switch to move the La Vache from pre-boost to post-boost duties (muff > rat > LV or LV > muff > rat). The other side is the same layout but with an Ego Driver, Moon Lander and Hoodoo Drive.
The centre foot switch is bypass, the right side is channel A/ channel B and the left foot switch is an independent TB loop following the dirt. This is the SOLO function, and the loop will be filled with phasers and delays etc.
The guy who bought this plays a variety of different styles, and wanted something that can be configured to be anything from a clean boost to a fire-breathing monster. He also wanted a simple way of getting crazy stacked distortion tones without tap-dancing as he is a singer who doesn't want to have to concentrate on his pedalboard on stage. Though some might look at this pedal and think it needless overkill, I think it will be very practical for the user. No more endlessly re-arranging his board, just flip a few switches and have a whole new dirt setup!
The enclosure is a Hammond 1550J, the largest of the Hammond diecast series. I must have had it waiting for a project for two years...
Thanks has to go to Jacob and Brian, without whom I would have had a hard time fitting this into an amp chassis, let alone this box. As always, their layouts and boards are just wonderful to work with and sound fabulous. Thanks also goes to everyone on these boards for the inspiration and education needed to get a beast like this up and running. You people are the best.

gordo

Needs more lights.... :o

That's whacked, the insides look spectacular!  Very nicely done.  Overkill?  I think NOT.

Do the room lights dim when you kick it in?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Mike B.

Wow ...that is pure awesomeness!

I would probably have steered the guy toward an off-the-shelf programmable looper, but that's some very nice thinking outside the box - and it's very neat and compact for all that's in there.

I bet he's stoked to get this and start playing with it.

jimilee

You know everytime I think I may have a chance in the contest, this happens, and it's a marvel for sure! Nice going. I bet it felt great when it fired up!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Tremster

selfdestroyer

Where do you hook up the crystals? Lol looks awesome. Your wiering is so clean for all that madness going on.

Vallhagen

In quite another discussion someone asked me "can you do this"? And i replied; "Sure yea... if you want a distbox big as that doormat"...

And oh man, you just did it ;D ...

Perfectly clean job all over! Respect!

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

J0K3RX

That is very cool! I think the Boss DS-1 is confused and probably feels a little inadequate...

hoodoo

Wow, probably the biggest pedal i've seen on madbean, and an awesome one at that. I like your vero solution for the multiple grounds? very neat guts, all the best, Matt

jkokura

Oh wow. There's almost too much I could say about this! It's pretty much the most epic build I've seen in a long time! I can only imagine how long that took to build, and the complexity alone is astonishing. Very, very good work my friend. Glad to have been able to participate in helping you make this happen.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

Flippin' 'eck...

I can think of another limiting factor you threw out -- "that'd be a pain in the ass, try something else!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

televisiondown

Quote from: alanp on October 20, 2013, 11:59:08 PM
Flippin' 'eck...

I can think of another limiting factor you threw out -- "that'd be a pain in the ass, try something else!"

...or, "yeah, I'll make it...but I'm not gonna label it!"

Haha! Looks great, though :D
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

lincolnic

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

LaceSensor