News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Securing the board

Started by jcuempire, February 21, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcuempire

What's the best way to secure a board in the box?  Previously I have been using solid core wire so as to "suspend" it in the box.  Is there a better way?

Thanks

Keith

Willybomb

I'm going to bump this as I'm having a good deal of trouble with the boards in my Random Stranger.

I've tried a couple of thing I've seen here:

Doublesided tape - not so good with the cheap brand I brought.  My usual method, but it's not doing so well this time around.

Velcro - The stock adhesive on the back of velcro is pretty damn secure, but I'm finding that it's not sticking so well to the bottom of my veroboard and PCBs, possibly because of all the solder lumps on the back of the boards where it's supposed to be sticking.  The hook on the boards holds, but not that well, and isn't even close compared to the loop on the enclosure..

This is bugging be because every time I close it up something rattles loose if I give it a light shake.  I don't want anything moving and putting pressure on my solder joints or exposed wires fatiguing.

I'm thinking about putting a thin sheet of some very soft foam on the baseplate to keep some pressure on the boards and stop them moving.  Shouldn't be an issue as long as the tranny legs don't get bent against something else and short out.

Ideas?  As I mentioned in a previous thread I want to make my pedals fairly gig and travel worthy.  My biggest problems are wires breaking (pretty much solved with this 24awg stuff I'm getting from diypedalparts, but won't be much good if things are flopping around) and not managing to tighten jacks and pots enough...

RobA

I've been using the 3M double sided foamie stuff that is meant for hanging stuff on walls. It's been really solid for me so far.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

I've been JB Welding aluminum standoffs to the enclosure and screw the boards down to those.

To do- Attach the standoffs to the pcb, i use nylon nuts, put a dab of JB on the other end of the standoff position the pcb in the enclosure let the glue dry.

Remove the pcb and 'volcano' mor JB Weld around the standoff to secure it further.

Havent had any failures but they don't lead a very rough and tumble life.

Glueup

Volcanoes

Also screws through the top with standoffs, screws can be incorporated into the design, hidden under a faceplate....
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

madbean

Quote from: RobA on July 11, 2014, 05:20:54 PM
I've been using the 3M double sided foamie stuff that is meant for hanging stuff on walls. It's been really solid for me so far.

Pretty much this for me. Except in the case of PCB mounted pots where I use the plastic covers. The pins keep the board secured and the covers provide all the support needed. But, for free floating I just use the foam tape stuff. That's okay for DIY but I would not want to do it for a commercial production (the exception being Barber pedals which use the tape thing very effectively).

alanp

I tried this for the first time, with Heavy Water's PSU and power distribution board.

A couple days later I could hear the damn board rattling around the enclosure. I'm sticking to blu-tack.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

There about 1.847 million different types of double-sided tape out there (OK, not that many) and it does matter which type you use.  It various greatly in tack strength as well as the material used in the double-sided tape

I've tried a bunch of different variants the past couple of years and have had the best success with 3M VHB.  There are many variants of it.  If you look at McMaster Carr, you can probably figure out which one works for the substrate you are using.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3m-vhb-tape/=sskglb

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on July 11, 2014, 06:24:58 PM

I tried this for the first time, with Heavy Water's PSU and power distribution board.

A couple days later I could hear the damn board rattling around the enclosure. I'm sticking to blu-tack.

Are you talking about Blu-tack the poster putty?  I love that stuff, but I wouldn't trust it to hold anything upside down over a long period of time.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper