News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Connecting Plastic threaded jacks to the enclosure

Started by chromesphere, October 16, 2013, 11:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

hey guys,
bought a bunch of these for 1590a builds, first time i've used plastic threaded jacks:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400564170873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

They actually work really well for punch amp speaker output, as the 2 output wires arent uspposed to be connected to ground / the enclosure.

But for pedal effects, the enclosure is no longer grounded / shield.  How would you connect ground to the enclosure?  I was thinking purely taping a piece of stripped wire to the enclosure with electrical tape that is also connected to the pcb ground as well, but thats a bit of a hack solution.

Any help appreciated,
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

I don't bother grounding the enclosure with my 1590A builds. They're not noisy at all that I notice.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

You could always ground them to the PCB and then use the spring method to ground to the enclosure.. if I understand you right. I have seen Mr. Black use what looks like a AA battery terminal spring and just have it touch the enclosure. I know the Tiger Boost has it... I just cant seem to find any pictures here at work. Hope this makes sense.

chromesphere

Yeah i get you Cody, held in place by pressure?  That could work.

Or maybe ill just super glue that shield wire down :D

selfdestroyer

Quote from: chromesphere on October 17, 2013, 12:01:44 AM
Yeah i get you Cody, held in place by pressure?  That could work.

Or maybe ill just super glue that shield wire down :D

Pressure.. exactly.

midwayfair

Wrap a piece of bare wire around something that's screwed down to the enclosure, tighten the but, and then solder it to ground. I do it around the output jack, but you can also use the foot switch or a pot.

You might be able to see it in some of my build reports.

chromesphere

I actually tried that Jon around the dc jack nut.  Just wouldnt stay under the nut as i tightened it.   I'm thinking maybe wrapping a full loop and sort of twisting it onto itself might do the trick though.

derevaun

There are locking washers with solder lugs for just that purpose. Most are sized for smaller bolts. A search for "solder lug nut," "solder tab nut," etc. might turn up something. Here's an example:

http://www.tubedepot.com/p-termlock.html

Gledison

Hey Paul! What about attaching a ground wire with a little stripe of copper tape? Maybe a bit of superglue to hold in place?
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

chromesphere

Yeah I think this is the way to go.  I will tape / sticker down that sucker.  Seems to work ok so far!

Ettore_M

I just do it the way Jon is doing it! Works every time! ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

raulduke

If I use plastic jacks I'll use an M3 solder tag (connected by M3 screw and nut) and solder a GND connection to that.

alanp

Quote from: alanp on October 16, 2013, 11:59:07 PM
I don't bother grounding the enclosure with my 1590A builds. They're not noisy at all that I notice.

Starting to feel guilty about being the only lazy bugger here!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Gledison

Quote from: alanp on October 17, 2013, 09:15:37 AM
Quote from: alanp on October 16, 2013, 11:59:07 PM

Starting to feel guilty about being the only lazy bugger here!
Well, the question is : grounding is only necessary in order to reduce noise or for safety issues? No, i dont know the answer!;-p
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

davent

Quote from: chromesphere on October 17, 2013, 12:54:46 AM
I actually tried that Jon around the dc jack nut.  Just wouldnt stay under the nut as i tightened it.   I'm thinking maybe wrapping a full loop and sort of twisting it onto itself might do the trick though.

I soldered the point where the loop meets itself so it won't open up upon tightening. Also used one of the small toothed washers with solder lug, attached to the enclosure with it's own screw and nut.

I've got lots of heavy copper foil i'm going to try sandwiching between insulated jacks and the enclosure, solder a lead to that and the lead to circuit ground.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?