News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Open G Tuning

Started by jkokura, October 15, 2013, 05:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Anyone have any good resources for learning to play in Open G? I watched a Youtube video on how to get started, mostly because I'm trying to learn to play slide better. I'm not trying to be as good as Derek Trucks (though I really admire his skills), but I don't want to just learn what Keith did in Open G (About all I know right now).

Anyone have some thoughts?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

I don't think this will come as a surprise, but Google turned up a whole bunch of free lessons. Not sure if that is what you're looking for though... Jimmy Page had a different approach to open G then Richards, mainly acoustic, maybe that is a bit more to your liking?

What I did when experimenting with open G is locate the root note of the song you're playing, and just let that slide, erm.., well, slide! Experimenting is the way to go. Just one tip: It's very cool to sound a note with the slide on one string, and fret the same note with a spare finger on another string before/after the slide. That dissonance is so cool!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

icecycle66

Have you seen this:

http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

You can pick how many strings and name each string.  Then print out a full scale or any chord you want. 
Then use it to study and memorize your new fretboard.

GermanCdn

If you go onto Ebay and search "Resonator Tuning Scales", or something to that effect, there's a company who produces posters in various tunings with all the chord positions, as well as common roles and tricks.  By all means, don't by the poster, just take a screen shot of it and you're set.  Currently using it to try and learn lap steel.  Failing miserably at it, so I've set my sights lower than "Nashville Quality" to more of a "Loud power chords that don't sound like I need a hula skirt".  You're welcome for that mental picture.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

derevaun

Sonny Landreth sometimes plays in G, and he almost always plays in an open major tuning. He says he learned on lap steel--maybe some lap steel methods?

ch1naski

i keep my resonator in open E most of the time, and  G  (A, actually, but still the same) on my SG for stuff like "In my Time of Dying".....
one louder.