News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD (Tele Build)!

Started by raulduke, October 14, 2013, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Finally finished up my Tele partscaster I've been putting together.

I was going for a Gibson/Fender 'Tele Junior' look/vibe. Kind of a 'beefed up' Tele with a bit of LP tone mixed in.

The body is a Fender Roadworn that I scored on Ebay. I routed it for a neck humbucker. I know the mixed opinions about relic'd/worn bodies, but I think it looks cool, so that's all that matters right?  ;) ;D

The neck is a Warmoth stock neck. It is their Boat shape, which is on the chunky side, and feels really nice (similar to my LP). It's a lot comfier than the neck on my Baja Tele (which may even be a smaller profile). The Radius is Warmoth's 10-16" compound profile.

The necks got a rosewood board, and the main neck material is maple with a brown lacquer finish. I was going to splash out on a full rosewood neck, but the costs were just a bit too high for me to stomach!

Most of the hardware is bought from Axes'R'Us, and WD Music in the UK. Wilkinson bridge (compensated saddles), Kluson 'Button' tuners (really really nice quality) for a bit of a Gibson vibe. The hardware is all aged to look a little worn.

I cut the Pick-guard on a jigsaw to get that shape.

Controls are a standard 3 way switch with independant 500K volume controls for each pickup (I never use the tone control on my other Tele).

Pickups are the Seymour Duncan lil'59 for Tele in the bridge and Creamery UK pickups 'Hot Swing-O' at the neck.

The creamery pickup is beautiful; probably my favourite Tele neck pickup I have tried so far (link: http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/swing-os-humbucker-sized-filtertron-style-pickups.html#.Ulv6wVNK-yo).

The SD in the bridge I am not so sure about yet, I am still looking to see what other options are available for the HB size tele single coils. Any suggestions/recommendations would be most welcome.

Anyway, I'm loving it so far, and it sounds great for my needs. I hope you like the pics!

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Cortexturizer

AWESOME! I am really impressed!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

selfdestroyer

That looks awesome. I love that pickguard on there.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

gtr2

Fantastic looking guitar there!

I had one of those lit'l 59's in my tele for about a day.  I didn't care for it either.  I just went with a traditional fender vintage bridge pickup.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

Quote from: gtr2 on October 14, 2013, 09:41:54 PM
Fantastic looking guitar there!

I had one of those lit'l 59's in my tele for about a day.  I didn't care for it either.  I just went with a traditional fender vintage bridge pickup.

Josh

It's actually growing on me a when used with dirt; it sounds great for this application in fact. Clean its a little tepid and uninspired though.

I don't want to have another Tele with a standard bridge pickup as my Eternal 'Betty' already covers this.

I think I'll have a look around and see whats available.

juansolo

BKP Flat 50 is a beastie.

Cheaper alternatives maybe at Oil City Pickups or Mojo Pickups. All UK based.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk