News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Box cap tolerance

Started by croquet hoop, October 11, 2013, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croquet hoop

I noticed that musikding has good prices on Wima box caps, so I added a few of them to my last order. However, it turns out that they are 10% tolerance, instead of the usual 5% tolerance generally recommended. Are there instances where the 5% tolerance would really be critical? Or should I not bother and use them indifferently?

kothoma

I wouldn't bother most of the time. The decade is typically spaced in increments of 21% (1, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, ... , 8.2, 10) so the selected value is typically already a compromise.
But have you actually measured them how much they really vary? I've even bought 5% ones that were more than 10% off.

croquet hoop

Unfortunately my multimeter does not measure capacitance. It's not a huge problem, I have a stash of Panasonic ECQ and Kemet MMK caps on hand, it's just that I wondered if musikding could be a good source for caps in the future or if I should stick with what I use now.

kothoma

I usually get one of these http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php?cPath=28_31_73 or these http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php?cPath=28_31_209 .
Last time I checked these were way cheaper than those from musikding.

culturejam

Most of the film caps I use are 10% anyway. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it (for audio purposes).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

catfud

I was excited to receive a delivery for a tayda order this week, and having read the posts on this forum about tayda parts being out of spec I took a bag of 1.5nF box caps (5%) and measured them. All caps were correctly marked as 1.5nF, but all measure 1.8nF (or within 5% of 1.8nF).

I think I'll be testing the stuff I get from Tayda more carefully from now on.

Tremster

chromesphere

Quote from: catfud on October 11, 2013, 08:19:26 PM
I was excited to receive a delivery for a tayda order this week, and having read the posts on this forum about tayda parts being out of spec I took a bag of 1.5nF box caps (5%) and measured them. All caps were correctly marked as 1.5nF, but all measure 1.8nF (or within 5% of 1.8nF).

I think I'll be testing the stuff I get from Tayda more carefully from now on.

Im getting over taydas low quality parts.  Compare a tayda resistor to a xicon which is a relatively budget Mouser resistors.  Thin crappy leads and cheap ass construction. i should probably start measuring them for tolerance as well!

I recieved a film cap from tayda that failed in the construction line, bascially the plastic box was melted diagonally to the internal metal part.  Hard to explain, but it looked a mess.  Someone from tayda would have placed that cap inside the bag and sent it to me.  I dont think they care much for quality control.

I think i'm going to pay the extra, double, and get my stuff from the big component dealers.  Vishay or epcos flim caps dont just look estethically more pleasing then the tayda dark greys, they are better made and as recent threads indicate, have better tolerance.  The vishays i have bought in the past have been stated manufacturers origin is germany for example.

Tayda are still good for other things (9mm pots, enclosures, 3pdt are ok, etc), just the small components that are below par imo.

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jkokura

I have gotten a few odd value caps from Tayda in a pinch. Just 5 or 10 of some value that's uncommon (1.2nF for example). They haven't been bad.

That said, I've never bought large amounts of common values. I've just participated in good group buys and also bought them in quantities from Mouser or Smallbear which has brought the price into reasonable range.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

I've never had a faulty or dodgy looking cap from Tayda. Their resistors are shit, but their box and multilayer caps have all arrived in quite good shape. Used them on tons of builds, prototypes, and breadboard circuits.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

croquet hoop

Quote from: culturejam on October 11, 2013, 08:03:10 PMMost of the film caps I use are 10% anyway. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it (for audio purposes).

I had a look at a bunch of build reports, and it looks like many people use J or K caps indifferently, so you're right, I don't think I should really bother with that.

Quote from: Tremster on October 14, 2013, 08:15:54 PMReichelt is still a little cheaper on those:
https://secure.reichelt.de/Wima-MKS-2/2/index.html?&ACTION=2&LA=2&GROUPID=3153

Thanks for the link, I did not know this shop. Musikding seems still cheaper when you buy 10+ caps (0,10 € each from this quantity), and their shipping costs are lower as well.

And, thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread.

chromesphere

Ive only ever had one demented cap from tayda, and ive ordered alot over the years so i guess we can let them off for that :D

Aparently their caps are acrotronic brand which is a decent brand afaik.  Some of their common values are wima which are very good. 

with that said, there are sometimes 'specials' on element14 and mouser that have very good quality caps on discount.  I've bought vishays and epcos for under 6c a piece.  Random values though, and often not the common values, but still, 20 or 30 of those in the parts cabinet doesnt go a stray :D

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

evildead222

croquet hoop, Is there any way to read the reichelt site in english?

kothoma

Quote from: evildead222 on October 17, 2013, 07:47:57 AM
Is there any way to read the reichelt site in english?

Look for "de | en" at the top. Click "en".