News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommend me an overdrive build for a SS amp

Started by Guybrush, October 11, 2013, 10:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey all

I've just picked up a Roland JC-77 for a bargain price and wondered if anyone could suggest an overdrive that will complement it well.

I know solid states get a bashing but I wanted a clean amp and couldn't pass up the deal I found.

So could anyone please recommend an overdrive build that will go well with a Jazz Chorus?

Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

kothoma

Hm, there are so many flavors of overdrive.
Maybe you could be more specific? What guitar will you use? What sound are you looking for?

Guybrush

Hey

I'm using a Fender Tele. Not really sure about sound, just wondered if anyone had suggestions for a drive that works well with solid state.

I was thinking about giving a Klon build a go but heard that they only really work well with valve amps.

stevie1556

The Egghead sounds great on several different solid state amps that I've used it on.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

RobA

Do you want an overdrive or a pure distortion? I haven't played on a JC-77 but the JC's I've played on really didn't do that well with overdrive. The other thing about them is that they reproduce highs pretty well, which could be a problem with a lot of distortion pedals.

Are you looking for clean boost with a bit of distortion or do you want some major crunch out of it. If it's the second you are after, one of the http://runoffgroove.com/articles.html JFET amp sims could be a good way to go.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GhostofJohnToad

yeah, depends what "sound" you want.  Are you going for Andy Summers grit?  Does it have to be bean board or are you up for a vero build.  I hear the WIIO is pretty good with SS.  Also My Zen clone sounds pretty good on most amps, SS and Tube.  Even a muff variant would probably sound good if you dial back the fuzz level.

rullywowr

For lower dist/overdrive I highly recommend the MB "Glitteratti" (BB preamp).
For medium distortion I would go with a Boneyard (Carl Martin Plexitone)
For over the top, melt your face off MESA style I would go with the Upper Decker (Wampler Triple Wreck).

That's just my recommendations.  I find distortions sound a little more pleasing in an all SS amp.  YMMV especially if you have a tube preamp in the amp or you are thinking about getting a tube preamp pedal which will warm up the sound.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Guybrush

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds like I might have to try a few different pedals out to see which work best for me.

I guess the sound I'm after is British Indie for want of a better term. So Andy Summers is I'm the ball park. Other artists/bands I'm thinking of are Foals, The Kills, Radiohead, The Smiths, Arctic Monkeys Graham Coxon, Nick Zinner (I know he's not British but I love his guitar sound) etc

Thanks again.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free