News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Making breaks in vero strip

Started by Willybomb, October 07, 2013, 01:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  Was wandering around another DIY site and saw someone had made their breaks in the vero strips by drilling right through the strip AND the board...  I just flip it over and hand spin a drill bit in the hole enough to remove the copper.  The downside of that is that I occasionally (very rarely) get the break in the wrong spot.

Who does it which way?

Cortexturizer

I used the screwdriver the longest time...but eventually gave up and started to do it like you described, with the hand drill enough to break the connection, it cannot be seen from the front view of the board.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

stevie1556

Ive got one of these, basically a drill in a screw driver handle. Just search eBay for 'stripboard cutter'.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

GermanCdn

I've done it both ways, it's quicker with the handtool than with the drill press method.  The advantage to drilling all the way through the vero is you have immediate reference holes for your layout, but you have to be careful, because if your holes are a little bit off centre from you strip, you can be left with a little bit of trace on the edges that you have to remove by hand.

Neither method is wrong.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

If I am going to do 4 or 5 I use my drill press.. also if the drill bit is already in my drill press then I will use it (Its all about lazyness). If I am only doing 1 or 2 boards I will use the hand tool.

timbo_93631

I have the Farnell Stripboard Scoring tool that Smallbear sells.  Like using it.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

wolfingsworth

This hand drilling method seems like a much better solution than a razor knife like  I used before! Barely escaped with all fingers intact.

Droogie

Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 07, 2013, 04:31:10 PM
I have the Farnell Stripboard Scoring tool that Smallbear sells.  Like using it.

+1!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

juansolo

I use that tool in the pic above, dead easy.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

My last build, i just used a pocket knife spun around in the holes and checked continuity with a dmm. I tried the drill bit, but it was just a huge PITA. I lost interest pretty quick that way.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ch1naski

I use a bare drill bit, nice and sharp. It let's me know when my fingers aren't calloused enough from playing. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

one louder.

ch1naski

one louder.