News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You know who sucks? Blackeye effects

Started by playpunk, October 04, 2013, 08:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

Those dudes are horrible. i traded a DD5 to them for a palmetto boost/OD. (This was before I started spending all of my money on solder and enclosures, obviously.

The kid who runs that outfit bugged me throughout the process of the trade. I got the pedal, and the stupid thing didn't pass any signal when bypassed.

The inside of the pedal looked like absolute dog crap when I opened it up - hot glue dripped all over the place, sloppy wiring, and a goofy little vero board with about 3 components on it.

Ridiculous. I mailed it back to those goobers and they don't respond to emails, and haven't returned the pedal to me.

I would stay as far away from them as I possibly could.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Bret608

I was curious and googled them. Looks like there are a lot of complaints posted about them at consumer advocate-type websites.

Interestingly, their pedals have a very JHS-like aesthetic!  ;)

GhostofJohnToad

Yup, I keep seeing their name pop up on various other forums and its all the same.  They suck!

lars

Thanks for the info. Just looked at their site. No pics of the insides of any of their projects...big red flag when that is the case. IMO, the best place to buy "boutique" hand-built pedals is right here in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. :)

jkokura

Quote from: lars on October 04, 2013, 11:29:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Just looked at their site. No pics of the insides of any of their projects...big red flag when that is the case. IMO, the best place to buy "boutique" hand-built pedals is right here in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. :)

I gots lots I can sell you... ;)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ibanezsr500

Here's a gut shot of their boost - Apart from the circuit itself, there's definitely more than a few 'interesting' design choices if you ask me...

hammerheadmusicman

Quote from: ibanezsr500 on October 05, 2013, 08:28:29 AM

Here's a gut shot of their boost - Apart from the circuit itself, there's definitely more than a few 'interesting' design choices if you ask me...

So many things to say!

Why have the switch there?
Why make that board unnecessarily big?
Why is this not in a 1590A
Why have a horrendous wonky track, going all the way round the board for the ground?
Why no ground plane?
What's whit got glue, instead of a properly fixed bezel?

Too many questions!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

LaceSensor

To be frank I was expecting a lot worse

At least the soldering looks reasonably clean
Many people use hot glue in their effects. for LEDs I just drill the right hole and shove them through
The footswitch being there is odd for me, but its not uncommon to have an offset footswitch
The hardware looks of reasonable quality
At least its a PCB, not some shoddily hacked tag/vero

All the above are based on the assumption it retails for $70 or less

hammerheadmusicman

$ 99 on their site.

I know people use hot glue, but It just looks messy. Exactly like you said, drill it right, job done.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

playpunk

the one I had was vero. I am supposedly going to get it back, repaired, soon.

I will take pictures of the fugly guts and put them up.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Willybomb

I looked at their site and wondered why anyone would order their stuff anyway (no offence intended, but the stuff that gets posted here looks a million times better...).

But, then I saw the pedalboard patch and thought "what's the point of that", and then thought "well, that's just a couple of jack tips soldered together, and it might not be such a bad idea in some cases", so I'm thinking about intergrating the idea of pedalboard in/outs on this current pedal I'm working on as I'd been tossing the idea of an effects loop around...