News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

and there's this - minifoogers

Started by GhostofJohnToad, October 02, 2013, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Interesting! They are using an OTA for overdrive in the drive? That kinda doesn't make sense. The way it reads it sounds more like they are using the OTA to move the ladder filter. But, the Boost does directly say they are using the OTA as a VCA and clipping.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

In this paper on page 4 you find:
The limiting action is comparably smooth, so overdriving an OTA from the input can be musically quite useful.
Never heard that before.

RobA

Me either, in fact whenever I overdrive an LM13700 it sounds like something is going to die and sometimes something has, the 13700. I'm going to have to read that paper now.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

selfdestroyer

Hope those prices are legit. Looks awesome.

RobA

I think my brain was stuck in what I've been working with lately. But that paper jarred it free. (Nice paper by the way. I'll have to keep that one around.) This is Moog we are talking about. It may not be the old Moog, but it is still Moog. There's a good chance they are doing discrete OTA circuits. If that's case, these could be really interesting.

So, if my quick read through is getting this right, the distortion is a hyperbolic tangent based distortion? That's really interesting considering our digital distortion discussion since a tanh is used in DSP to generate some overdrive characteristics.

Cortexturizer

Oh yes! Can't wait for these, gotta get the Ring as soon as it gets out :D
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

juansolo

Not interested until they put a Murf in a box that size :)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on October 02, 2013, 07:53:46 PM
Not interested until they put a Murf in a box that size :)
That would be a slick trick.

kothoma

Quote from: RobA on October 02, 2013, 06:21:01 PM
[...] There's a good chance they are doing discrete OTA circuits. [...]
Yeah, that could be possible. These pedals could be SMD-style anyway. But I still find it unlikely, because of component count and matching transitor pairs.

[...] the distortion is a hyperbolic tangent based distortion? [...]
That's the way I read it too. Tanh is one of several transfer functions for nonlinearities used in dsp and a nice one in that.

raulduke

From the initial photos they look a bit meh to me. A bit boring and bland.

Moog is all about the wooden panels, bomb proof build quality, oversized controls, and extensive control option IMO.

On the other hand, if they have put their ladder filter in a stomp box that can work well at line level for around £150 then I am definitely interested.

Cortexturizer

What's a ladder filter?
I could have just googled that, but I'm anti-establishment so I didn't :D :P
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

raulduke

kothoma

Quote from: Cortexturizer on October 03, 2013, 11:31:00 AM
What's a ladder filter?

Short: the Moog filter, US Patent 3,475,623.
A cascade of four single pole filters with a feedback loop.
The filter sections are based on the emitter resistance of balanced pairs of transistors.

kothoma

Quote from: raulduke on October 03, 2013, 11:19:42 AM
Moog is all about the wooden panels, bomb proof build quality, oversized controls, and extensive control option IMO.

Rebox them any way you want...