News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm looking for a good 2-pot overdrive for a 1590A build. Suggestions?

Started by Ettore_M, October 01, 2013, 02:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Heys guys! I'll be back in the 1590A builds, and I want a good-sounding, 2-pot overdrive. Which one would you suggest? And if you built one, what's your impressions?

Thanks!  :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Madbean's Egghead. I think you could get away with putting a diode switch on that one in a 1590A to give you some more tonal variety.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Stomptown

You could do a vero version of the Madbean LaVache (Lovetone Le Luis) pretty easily and it sounds pretty awesome. I would just breadboard and figure out which clipping option you like more and leave the others off the build so you don't need the spdt switch...

Ettore_M

Hey guys! Thanks for your suggestions.  :)
I considered them all and now I'm between building a Red Llama of a LaVache. I have an etched LaVache board, but I'm going to pick the Red Llama because I like its sound and have already a board fully populated.  ;)
So, who has built a Red Llama, and how do you like it?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

alanp

If you have a LaVache board, you really, really should populate it and hook it up to a test rig, to get an idea of what it can do. It's my most favourite overdrive :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

Quote from: alanp on October 03, 2013, 08:42:31 AM
If you have a LaVache board, you really, really should populate it and hook it up to a test rig, to get an idea of what it can do. It's my most favourite overdrive :)

This!

Ettore_M

Quote from: alanp on October 03, 2013, 08:42:31 AM
So most votes go to the LaVache...
Ok then! I'm gonna build this one to try it out!

But I would like to have only the two pots, if possible.
So, two questions..
1) Is the Boost switch really needed?

2) And, what do you think it's the best setting for the Shape switch?

Thanks
Hector
- Culturejam

Stomptown

I personally prefer this circuit with the boost engaged. My favorite clipping option is the left position, which uses D1/D2 in parallel with Z1/Z2. It really depends on what your looking for though. I build mine so I have all the options, but I kind of wish I would have just figured out what  liked and then hardwired it without switches like you are planning on doing. Here is a link to my build report which has a video demo. Hope this helps...

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=11262.msg101447#msg101447

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Ettore_M

Thanks for that, Thomas. I was considering the DOD250, but I'll build a MXR Distortion+, because I love it. Built one before, but sold it to a friend. So I don't think I want the same (only a few differences) pedal twice in my pedalboard.

Now, I heard a handful of demos on Youtube for both the Les Lius and the Red Llama, and my ears tend to like the Llama more. The Les Lius sounds harsh. I can't explain it better. The Llama sounds warmer and kinda more natural.
Am I hearing something wrong?  :-\

Hector
- Culturejam

hoodoo

Go the Llama mate. Mine is a vero version from tagboard effects and sounds fantastic, big fan of this circuit  :)

kothoma

Overdrive or distortion?

Anyway, YOU MUST BUILD THEM ALL, or at least two dozens, there's no escape. ;)

Ettore_M

I'll go with the Llama. For now, at least! As kothoma said, I'll build them all (sometime) to find the one I like most.  ;D
But for now, I'll go for that, as it's a simple build, I have a board already populated, and I like its sound!  :)

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys! You'll see a build report from me pretty soon.  ;)

Hector
- Culturejam