News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trashy MiniTaur

Started by pickdropper, September 27, 2013, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is sort of the Rory Gallagher version of a mini Klon.  I decided to try out Tim and Rej's enclosure finish style.  Not quite as good as either of them, but I like it.  I intentionally made it a bit non-symmetrical.  I also used my new patented "in my pocket with car keys" knob aging technique.

I basically wanted a buffered mini Klon for my board, so I decided to throw a layout together a while back.  I replaced all of the 1uF and 4.7uF electrolytics with MLCC caps.

This one is a bit darker than other Klons I've built.  On some amps, I prefer the slightly brighter standard feel.  On others, it really dig this one.  I'm going to play around with clipping diodes a bit and see what I prefer.  I'm also going to do another build with tantalum caps and check that out as well.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fendman

Stunningly brilliant as usual Dave !!!  Why a 3PDT  and not a DPDT ??  Is it for maybe an add on or something?
Great Work
Mike

pickdropper

Quote from: fendman on September 27, 2013, 01:32:52 PM
Stunningly brilliant as usual Dave !!!  Why a 3PDT  and not a DPDT ??  Is it for maybe an add on or something?
Great Work
Mike

The 3PDT actually keeps all of it's contacts within the frame of the switch.  The 2DPTs that I have here all have wings hanging off the side that don't fit as well in a 1590a.
Function f(x)

jubal81

Helluva layout - doesn't even look tight. Any speculation why it's a bit darker?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

croquet hoop

Superb build as always! I love the way you also distressed the knobs. Nice layout also, do you plan on selling some of these boards?

hylandren

From the "Trashy MiniTaur" title of this thread, i halfway expected to see a very short minotaur who maybe drinks too much, cheats on his wife and can't stay employed!  ;D
Wow, a mini Klon. I can't even imagine tackling something like this.
Quote from: pickdropper on September 27, 2013, 01:13:53 PMI also used my new patented "in my pocket with car keys" knob aging technique.
Not sure if you are kidding or not, but I may give that a try. 

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on September 27, 2013, 02:28:51 PM
Helluva layout - doesn't even look tight. Any speculation why it's a bit darker?

Thanks.  It took a while, but I am rather pleased with how the layout turned out. 

As far as why it's darker, there are a few things that it could be:

1.)  Component tolerance stackup.  As we all know, there is some variability from part to part.  The actual parts used could be part of it, particularly the germanium diodes.

2.)  The change to MLCC caps.  Unless they are NP0, ceramic caps capacitance is reduced the closer they are run to their rated voltage.  These are good X7R caps, but they still have that to a degree.  I have another board mostly populated that I am going to use Tantalum or Electrolytics on.  I should know more about it then.

3.)  Board Layout.  It's always possible that there is something in the component layout that is changing the high frequency performance.  It's why you can't usually just make boards as a puzzle to see where things fit.  Results are better when there is a strategy to the layout.  That said, I've seen some funkier Klon layouts that worked just fine, so  I don't suspect that this is the case.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on September 27, 2013, 02:48:45 PM
Superb build as always! I love the way you also distressed the knobs. Nice layout also, do you plan on selling some of these boards?

I haven't really decided  yet.  These boards have a couple of minor things that need correcting (this needed 2 jumpers and I'd like to add a bit more space for the 390n cap).

I will probably do at least one small run with the fixes, even though these are usable.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: hylandren on September 27, 2013, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 27, 2013, 01:13:53 PMI also used my new patented "in my pocket with car keys" knob aging technique.

Not joking at all.  Knobs + Keys + Coins = Distressed Knobs.

But don't forget, it's patented.   ;D
Function f(x)

billstein

Quote from: pickdropper on September 27, 2013, 03:22:29 PM

Can i license it for for use in one of my pockets?

PhiloB

How many keys and which coins should I use;)
Great build!!  Love the enclosure.

pickdropper

Quote from: billstein on September 27, 2013, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 27, 2013, 03:22:29 PM

Can i license it for for use in one of my pockets?

Currently, licensing is only available for the front left pocket , but I am in negotiations to possibly expand that.
Function f(x)

jkokura

Since I use my Jacket pocket (patent pending) my way is different than yours.

Currently licensing the left jacket pocket for less than whatever Dave is licensing the left pant pocket... PM for details.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: PhiloB on September 27, 2013, 04:40:12 PM
How many keys and which coins should I use;)
Great build!!  Love the enclosure.

It depends on the size of the pocket.  If the process doesn't follow the proper key-to-pocket ratio, then the knobs will either have too much  or not enough movement, which will yield sub-optimal results.

I'll go into more detail in my upcoming 19 DVD set on the process.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on September 27, 2013, 04:56:47 PM
Since I use my Jacket pocket (patent pending) my way is different than yours.

Currently licensing the left jacket pocket for less than whatever Dave is licensing the left pant pocket... PM for details.

Jacob

It's the same old story ; always getting undercut by Canadians.  The pricing isn't the problem, though.  The real issue is that Zamboni keys offer superior aging and they are difficult to find down here.
Function f(x)