Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ringmodulator based on AD633

Started by kothoma, September 21, 2013, 03:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: culturejam on September 22, 2013, 04:37:28 PM
Quote from: RobA on September 21, 2013, 05:43:39 PM
A simple alternative for getting a sine wave would be to use an XR2206. I played with using these as function generators and they work well. But, I think they are hard to find now too.

Tayda to the rescue!
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/xr-2206-xr2206cp-xr2206-monolithic-function-generator-ic.html
Ah cool! It's definitely worth looking at. I see that Tayda has the spec sheet linked for it there too. I'll have to pull out the one I have to try it out as a carrier wave.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

Quote from: culturejam on September 22, 2013, 04:37:28 PM
Quote from: RobA on September 21, 2013, 05:43:39 PM
A simple alternative for getting a sine wave would be to use an XR2206. I played with using these as function generators and they work well. But, I think they are hard to find now too.

Tayda to the rescue!
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/xr-2206-xr2206cp-xr2206-monolithic-function-generator-ic.html

Hey, it is great news that it still is available!

Cortexturizer

Ha! Dudes I am so glad to see The Carrier under the magnifying glass (sorta) it's crazy how much can a ring modulator add to the music yet a small portion of people use one,and a DIY version always looked extremly hard to do to me. I mean listen to Tortoise, or Wayne Krantz, you'll hear how this type of effect can sound incredibly classy.

As to The Carrier,it's a beast,the guys from Hexe really tuned it perfectly. But dude,it's like...700 dollars...no thanks, i'd rather buy another guitar hehe
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

RobA

I think I figured out something to do with the extra half of the LM13700 (in a one voice setting). I'll report back if it works.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

Quote from: RobA on September 24, 2013, 03:40:02 AM
I think I figured out something to do with the extra half of the LM13700 (in a one voice setting). I'll report back if it works.

Eager for news. Meanwhile I've ordered some AD633 and XR2206. Still interested in using an LM13700 though.

kothoma

Quote from: Cortexturizer on September 22, 2013, 09:15:34 PM
[...] it's crazy how much can a ring modulator add to the music yet a small portion of people use one [...]

Perhaps because it is easy to get random sounds but it's a bit tricky to reproduce settings and results?
I like the random sounds, though.

alanp

Exactly. Ring mods are worse than envelope filters, as far as having to stop and fiddle with it until you get what you want.

(For annoying whole rooms/halls/buildings full of people, though, there are NO OTHER pedals that come close to an angry ring mod in full shriek...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

But they do have other uses -- or so it seems. We had a ton of hits on our website once for our software ringmod.  I discovered that someone had posted instructions on a forum about how to set it up for processing voice recordings to sound like a Dalek. It completely cracked me up and kinda blew my mind at the same time. It was totally fun though.

chromesphere

A ring mod has always been something that I've wanted to build but on researching I usually end up hiding under my bed for a week.

Eagerly watching this thread :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

kothoma

Quote from: chromesphere on September 25, 2013, 07:53:54 AM
A ring mod has always been something that I've wanted to build but on researching I usually end up hiding under my bed for a week.

Eagerly watching this thread :D

Doesn't look so scary after all?
I'm really curious where this could lead to.

kothoma

Just brainstorming a few additions to the basic lowpass/carrier/multiplier/mix setup discussed so far:
- LFO to modulate the carrier pitch (see Moogerfooger MF-102 and Hexe The Carrier)
- envelope follower to control the carrier pitch (now, you saw that coming...)
- lowpass after the multiplier (as in The Carrier)

kothoma

An alternative to the XR2206 could be a ICL8038 as used in the EH Frequency Analyzer. Oh, it's marked "OBSOLETE PRODUCT - NO RECOMMENDED REPLACEMENT". Damn.

RobA

Frequency sweeping the carrier was where I was headed with the second half of the LM13700. There are a couple of ways to go with this based either on using the OTA as a variable resistor feed by an LFO or by using it to do the LFO itself and applying the resulting CV as in figure 10 of the XR2206 doc. There are some hangups that I'm having using the LM13700 for the LFO itself involving the wave shapes that I'd want to use.  I still need to experiment a bit and see which way is better, using figure 10 or the OTA path as a variable resistor.

RobA

I played around with the LM13700 and the XR2206 today and I did get a working ring modulator. But, it is a pain in the butt. It's already got 5 trimmers in it and I've only done about half of what I wanted to do with it. The XR2206 does work to produce a pretty nice sine wave, using three trimmers to get the wave shape just right. It also pretty much takes a spectrum analyzer to dial the sine in. I'd say that it is doable, but I think I'm going to hold off on the ring mod idea for a bit.

I'm still interested in how the experiments with the AD633 turn out though.

alanp

I'd say pinch one of the analog synth world's voltage controlled oscillators that have a sine out -- quite a few just have one sine adjustment trimmer (the sine part gets fed from the triangle output.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website