News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ripple

Started by pickdropper, September 20, 2013, 12:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is a Belton-based build that I've been meaning to do for a while.  Jon (Midwayfair) and Mark's (Chuckbuick) builds finally inspired me to throw it together.

Basically, it's Forrest's Box of Hall circuit sized for a 1590A.  I prefer using full-size enclosed jacks in 1590a builds, so that was the goal.  I found that I could fit a Belton in there if I put it directly on the jack top, so I designed the PCB to have a cutout so it could do exactly that.  In order to mount the brick as low as possible, I also had to put all of the components on the bottom of the PCB.  It worked out fine.  It's a tight fit, but not a particularly difficult build and the brick fits into the recess of the top cover without requiring modification.  The most difficult part of the build was that I swapped the labels on the top cover, so I had to cross wires for the ripple (feedback) and tone pots.

The color in the first two pics is a bit off (too blue).  The third shot is closer to the real color.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

That is just amazing. Just goes to show how using those tiny surface mount components can open up all kinds of possibilities. I dig those ripples too!

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on September 20, 2013, 01:00:04 PM
That is just amazing. Just goes to show how using those tiny surface mount components can open up all kinds of possibilities. I dig those ripples too!

Thanks a lot.

Yeah, SMT components do open up another world.  This build would've required a completely different strategy with through-hole.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Your 1590A builds are usually exceptional, but this one is particularly outstanding. And I cannot believe how clean your SMT soldering is.

I may have asked the same question on another thread, but are the wires 24 or 26 awg?

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on September 20, 2013, 01:18:16 PM
Your 1590A builds are usually exceptional, but this one is particularly outstanding. And I cannot believe how clean your SMT soldering is.

I may have asked the same question on another thread, but are the wires 24 or 26 awg?

The ribbon wires are 26.  The single wires are 24.
Function f(x)

Ettore_M

Ohh man! You kill me with these SMD stuff. You know my love for them!  ;) I just can't get the stuff I want, because I'm buying exclusively from Tayda. Someday, when I have enough money to buy from Mouser. It's very pricey with shipping to Greece.  :-\

Great build again! I love the thinking you put into designing it. How the PCB has to be in order to sit on the jack! Just love it. It shows the level of workmanship!  :)

Well done!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

croquet hoop

Quote from: pickdropper on September 20, 2013, 01:19:27 PMThe ribbon wires are 26.  The single wires are 24.

I see, thanks. I've used the same wire (26 awg spectra-strip) for my Lunar Module and a few other ongoing builds and found that the ribbon made the wire inconvenient and rigid (so now I separate the wires and twist/braid them). But I can see how you take advantage of this, given the way you box things (as seen here).

jkokura

Dude... the outside looks so much like a little pond that's had some pebbles tossed in on a calm, still morning.

Then you look at the SMD work, and you're like...

Wow.

Great work Dave.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pedalhealer

wow....very very cool! How did you make the graphics?
www.pedalhealer.com
instagram: pedalhealer_dot_com

timbo_93631

dude.  spare PCB's? that thing is der coolness.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Vallhagen

I'm impressed:) ... Taking the compact thing to a new level!

Not that I am gonna rush for it myself, but when you do the smd soldering... how do you do? do you pre-tin? I guess you need some kind of tool to keep the component in place while you solder? Is there a videotutorial that is good?

Cheers!

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on September 20, 2013, 04:22:08 PM
Dude... the outside looks so much like a little pond that's had some pebbles tossed in on a calm, still morning.

Then you look at the SMD work, and you're like...

Wow.

Great work Dave.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob, that is exactly what I was going for with the graphics.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: eldzsi on September 20, 2013, 04:37:14 PM
wow....very very cool! How did you make the graphics?

The graphics were drawn in illustrator.  It's just a series of circles.  As they get further from center, the lines get thinner and the spacing between circles increases.  I then etched them with a laser engraver.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: timbo_93631 on September 20, 2013, 05:20:14 PM
dude.  spare PCB's? that thing is der coolness.

Unfortunately, I already shipped out my two extra boards to Brian and Forrest.  If there's a bit if interest, I'd probably order more as I wouldn't mind having a spare or two for myself.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: Vallhagen on September 20, 2013, 05:35:04 PM
I'm impressed:) ... Taking the compact thing to a new level!

Not that I am gonna rush for it myself, but when you do the smd soldering... how do you do? do you pre-tin? I guess you need some kind of tool to keep the component in place while you solder? Is there a videotutorial that is good?

Cheers!

I don't ever pre-tin the pads.  I just apply flux to the pads, then Hold the component in place with tweezers.  Then I add a bit of solder to the tip of my iron and touch it to the joint.  Because of the flux, it flows right from the tip to the joint.  If it needs touch-up, I add a bit more flux and touch it again (generally without adding more solder).

There are some great tutorials online.  I'll try and dig one up.
Function f(x)