News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

favorite DIY trem (1590B)

Started by Beedoola, September 20, 2013, 06:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I'm looking to build a term, nothing too fancy, i.e lots of knobs and switches, just something basic that gets good vintage/warm tones.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Vallhagen

I have built two tremolos.

Madbeans Double Flush is great.

But first choice: Midwayfair / 1776 effects Cardinal Tremolo. The thing is absolutely fantastic. The harmonic thing makes it SO musical.

Both are about the same when it comes to fanciness/switches, bling & BOM.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

the3secondrule

Quote from: Beedoola on September 20, 2013, 06:14:09 AM
nothing too fancy, , just something basic that gets good vintage/warm tones.

EA trem? I think JMK does one
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

raulduke

I love the EA tremolo too. My favourite tremolo of all I've tried.

GGG (General Guitar Gadgets) do a PCB and also a kit, I think JMK PCB's may also too.

I love using the EA Trem as a boost too; the preamp has a really nice, warm, sound to it.

pickdropper

Quote from: raulduke on September 20, 2013, 08:36:19 AM
I love the EA tremolo too. My favourite tremolo of all I've tried.

GGG (General Guitar Gadgets) do a PCB and also a kit, I think JMK PCB's may also too.

I love using the EA Trem as a boost too; the preamp has a really nice, warm, sound to it.

It is a nice preamp.  I have one on the back end of my board at home.  I made the trem defeatable so that I can leave the preamp on if I want.

As far as favorite DIY trems, along with the EA I am quite fond of the CJ's Shoot the Moon circuit, which is choppier than the EA.  I'm also looking forward to building the Cardinal one of these days.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

Me, I love the modified EA Trem.

You can get it through my website at jmkpcbs.com

Also, I liked the Tap Tempo Trem that is (was?) available from Taylor at Musicpcb.com

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Beedoola

Vallhagen

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

kothoma

So, how does the Tremulus Lune fit in here?

jkokura

The Lune is pretty comlicated in terms of controls. It's a good sounding trem, but I like the EA from what I've built, and the Cardinal seems great from the demos. The Double Flush was pretty great as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: kothoma on September 20, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

The Shoot The Moon was derived from the Lune, so that would likely be the closest fit of the ones mentioned.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

I built a Lune. I do like the way it sounds. But, I agree about the controls. I don't think it's just the number of controls either. It's the way they interact.

It's not DIY, but I've got a Cool Cat Trem and I really like the way it sounds. Because of some other pedals that they are *known* for, I assume that this was "derived" from something else. Anyone know where from?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GhostofJohnToad

Another vote for the cardinal.  Just recently built one and even after the honeymoon I'm still in love.  It's just so nice full and round.  It really does sound like an amp trem.

snz728

I recently built a swamp thang/ tremodillo sounds nice and cheap to build just some 2n3904s

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/01/monster-effects-swamp-thang.html

kothoma

Quote from: pickdropper on September 20, 2013, 08:51:51 PM

Quote from: kothoma on September 20, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

The Shoot The Moon was derived from the Lune, so that would likely be the closest fit of the ones mentioned.

Yeah right, it escaped my attention you already mentioned it. Sorry for that.

Quote from: pickdropper on September 20, 2013, 01:07:47 PM
I am quite fond of the CJ's Shoot the Moon circuit, which is choppier than the EA.

Quote from: jkokura on September 20, 2013, 08:45:02 PM
The Lune is pretty comlicated in terms of controls. It's a good sounding trem, but I like the EA [...]

Quote from: RobA on September 20, 2013, 09:08:38 PM
I built a Lune. I do like the way it sounds. But, I agree about the controls. I don't think it's just the number of controls either. It's the way they interact.

So you both think it's not worth having all these controls? Isn't the shape of the lfo the main factor in a tremolo? Or is there more to it?

General question: what lfo shapes do all these tremolos use? Any having a clipped triangle?