News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The ultimate build - what would it be?

Started by lars, September 18, 2013, 04:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

There's usually one guitar effect that falls under that "ultimate build" category. Something that the original commands hefty price tags, but is also a major task to construct yourself (parts availability, size, etc.).
So what would it be?
Mine would be the Mu-Tron Biphase.

jimilee

Quote from: lars on September 18, 2013, 04:11:49 AM
There's usually one guitar effect that falls under that "ultimate build" category. Something that the original commands hefty price tags, but is also a major task to construct yourself (parts availability, size, etc.).
So what would it be?
Mine would be the Mu-Tron Biphase.
right now it's alanp's monster phaser. I've had the board for months but stuff keeps getting in the way
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I'd say either the Lovetone No Name, or the ADA Flanger. Both are monstrously complicated. The Doppelganger is a lot less complicated.

Probably the No Name, merely due to the offboard wiring.

On reflection, though -- that insane Ludwig build of Govt_Lackeys!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

For me it would have to be one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_Avatar. I played on one in a shop around '81 and loved the thing. It was insanely expensive and its tracking was slow, very slow. I'd love to build one. Better yet would be to take the basic design, fix the tracking using digital and then make it a hexaphonic unit. I think that'd be complicated enough.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Cortexturizer

Something like this

Some classic circuits tweaked to perfection. The pedal is insanely pricey, but I get it. There's a lot going on in there. If I had enough time maybe just maaaybe I would attempt a build like this but I doubt I could pull it off. Not saying this is the most complicated build out there, but it would be an ultimate pedal for me, hells one could start a band around this pedal alone hahah.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

timbo_93631

Quote from: culturejam on September 18, 2013, 01:46:39 PM
Binson Echorec  :o 8)

Yeah, was my thought too!  An Echolplex or Echo-Rec, maybe a oil can delay...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on September 18, 2013, 09:09:30 AM
I'd say either the Lovetone No Name, or the ADA Flanger. Both are monstrously complicated. The Doppelganger is a lot less complicated.

Probably the No Name, merely due to the offboard wiring.

On reflection, though -- that insane Ludwig build of Govt_Lackeys!

I think Greg has built all of these. The ? was his entry for the DIYSB contest.

juansolo

ADA Flanger. No issues with the build, but I took one look at the set up for the thing and thought naaaaaaah.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

How's my Ada clone working for you Juansolo? ;)

lars

That Hexe "the carrier" pedal sounds incredible!

Scruffie

If it comes to A/DA, always has to be this one ;D just for laughs, still hoping digi2t and jimiphoton pick one up for their hens tooth thingy, while not the best effect overall, it'd be interesting to see some of the circuit sections.

Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Quote from: RobA on September 18, 2013, 09:34:46 AM
I'd love to build one. Better yet would be to take the basic design, fix the tracking using digital and then make it a hexaphonic unit. I think that'd be complicated enough.

I had one from 1980 when I bought it till about 2006 when I finally let it go.  Was very cool sounding but a pain in the ass and a full-blown nightmare to try to use live.  Ironically it was a hexaphonic version that finally brought ARP down.  It was so crazy complicated that the mean time between failures was less than 50 hours and they poured TONS of money into it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

RobA

Quote from: gordo on September 19, 2013, 02:02:03 AM
Quote from: RobA on September 18, 2013, 09:34:46 AM
I'd love to build one. Better yet would be to take the basic design, fix the tracking using digital and then make it a hexaphonic unit. I think that'd be complicated enough.

I had one from 1980 when I bought it till about 2006 when I finally let it go.  Was very cool sounding but a pain in the ass and a full-blown nightmare to try to use live.  Ironically it was a hexaphonic version that finally brought ARP down.  It was so crazy complicated that the mean time between failures was less than 50 hours and they poured TONS of money into it.

Perfect, a build so complex it destroyed a company  ;). It is very cool that you had one, but I really can see that it must have been nearly impossible to use in a live setting.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GhostofJohnToad

For me the ultimate DIY build would have to be a really good looper.  Whether or not it was based on a Boss RC, or whatever.  It just seems to be unobtainable for the diy-selfer.  And I understand why with the DSP and whatnot, but for me it has to be a looper.  Or maybe a pedal that could pull off what the freeze and superego do.  Inherently it's cheaper to buy one off the shelf but where's the point in that?  ;D