News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why can't i socket anything?

Started by evildead222, September 17, 2013, 03:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evildead222

I'm pretty new to pedal building, I've built a few already that work fine, but it seems that every time I socket a transistor or an ic chip it doesn't work. Then, when i solder it directly into the board the circuit works fine. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong

Jmkrull

My guess the leads aren't making good contact within the socket. I would try testing it to see. It makes sense that it works when you solder it in it works if it's a contact issue.

Stomptown

Maybe try a different supplier for sockets. I know tge Tayda sockets for transistors are not the best so avoid those...

Darkknigh_t

make sure when you socket transistors that their leggs are straight and push it hard in make sure its not wobbly

fendman

Quote from: Darkknigh_t on September 17, 2013, 10:10:03 PM
make sure when you socket transistors that their leggs are straight and push it hard in make sure its not wobbly

Hmmm, nicely put. Not a lot more you can say :-[

Mike

RobA

Quote from: Stomptown on September 17, 2013, 05:47:08 PM
Maybe try a different supplier for sockets. I know tge Tayda sockets for transistors are not the best so avoid those...
I haven't tried their transistor sockets, but I use Tayda's SIP socket strips for transistors all the time and they work great.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

BuGG

What I've noticed about Tayda's IC sockets is that when an IC feels like it's fully seated it generally needs another push and it pops down further in place.  After that they're good to go.

I've also used the SIP strips with no problems.

Love me some Tayda.    ;)

Clayford

:-O haven't had any problem with Tayda sockets. I live them too.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jimilee

I've been using the dip sockets, is there a difference in them or is it just aesthetics?, i know functionally they do the same thing.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Clayford

Well you wouldn't use dip's for trannys. there's the machine tooled socket that I wouldn't recommend for chips.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

RobA

Quote from: jimilee on September 18, 2013, 12:38:18 AM
I've been using the dip sockets, is there a difference in them or is it just aesthetics?, i know functionally they do the same thing.
You mean using SIP sockets for op-amps and IC's? I haven't tried it. Or hadn't actually, I just did and it works. I think the SIP path would be a bit cheaper. One thing though, if I plan on changing out the IC's a bunch of times like in a proto situation, I like the cheap DIP's better than the machined type. They are easier to work with without killing the legs on the IC's.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

evildead222

Thanks guys maybe i just gotta push them down a little more, i get everything from tayda, it's so goddamn cheap!  Maybe i'll try someone else.

rullywowr

Tayda is great.  I prefer using their SIP header sockets for transistors and anything else you want to socket.  I use their cheapo DIL8 spring sockets and find they work great for most pedal-bound ICs.

A little tip with Transistors that I do, is to cut some of the length off the leads evenly and then cut a little bit more off the center lead.  This will allow you to push all the leads down as far as they will go.  Since the edge leads need a little more length due to the distance, cutting the center a bit shorter will help them all reach down as far as they can.

Sometimes if the lead feels too loose in a socket (happens with thin leaded components like Tayda 1/4w resistors), I will put a light tin coat of solder on the lead and then it will press in firmly.  Not too much or you won't be able to fit it in.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

Quote from: rullywowr on September 18, 2013, 03:09:49 PM

A little tip with Transistors that I do, is to cut some of the length off the leads evenly and then cut a little bit more off the center lead.  This will allow you to push all the leads down as far as they will go.  Since the edge leads need a little more length due to the distance, cutting the center a bit shorter will help them all reach down as far as they can.

For transistors with the leads straight out of the body like Tayda sells, you take take a piece of perf, push the transistor leads  down thru three adjacent holes, they outer leads splay out wide so you bend them back parallel to the center leg and you now have preformed transisitor leads spaced at 0.1" to match the spacing of the SIP socket. Now cut'em off to the same length and you're set to go.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

Quote from: davent on September 18, 2013, 03:40:49 PM

For transistors with the leads straight out of the body like Tayda sells, you take take a piece of perf, push the transistor leads  down thru three adjacent holes, they outer leads splay out wide so you bend them back parallel to the center leg and you now have preformed transisitor leads spaced at 0.1" to match the spacing of the SIP socket. Now cut'em off to the same length and you're set to go.

dave

Dave,

That is an awesome tip!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!