News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What in/out jacks should I use

Started by avidgrim, September 16, 2013, 06:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avidgrim

I'm building a fuzz with the mangler pcb and am not 100% sure which in/out jacks to use. I'm seeing many posts that refer to using a stereo for the in and a mono for the out. Is this needed or can I just use 2 mono jacks. Is it the same for all pedals or do certain circuits require different combinations?

Any help for a newbie is greatly appreciated. Thanks

jimilee

Mono is fine unless you're using a battery snap, then you should use a stereo in for the battery ground.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

avidgrim

I plan on using both a battery snap and a dc jack. That doesn't change anything does it?

timbo_93631

When you use a battery snap you wire the black wire of the snap to the ring lug of the stereo jack.  That way, when you have the pedal unplugged from your guitar cables it breaks the connection between the battery(-) and ground, and doesn't drain the battery.  For reference: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

hammerheadmusicman

No, it doesn't change anything, as jimilee said, use a stereo for the input and either a mono or stereo for the output, whichever you have lying around :)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

garfo

Quote from: avidgrim on September 16, 2013, 06:42:48 PM
I'm building a fuzz with the mangler pcb and am not 100% sure which in/out jacks to use. I'm seeing many posts that refer to using a stereo for the in and a mono for the out. Is this needed or can I just use 2 mono jacks. Is it the same for all pedals or do certain circuits require different combinations?

You can use mono and still use a battery snap.At least my fuzz has two mono jacks and I use battery.I also put a dc in to connect the battery from the outside.

jimilee

Quote from: garfo on September 23, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

You can use mono and still use a battery snap.At least my fuzz has two mono jacks and I use battery.I also put a dc in to connect the battery from the outside.
That will run the battery down when you're not using it because it won't disconnect the battery when nothing is plugged in. Again. ask me how I know.  :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

garfo

Quote from: jimilee on September 24, 2013, 03:11:09 AM
Quote from: garfo on September 23, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

That will run the battery down when you're not using it because it won't disconnect the battery when nothing is plugged in. Again. ask me how I know.  :P
Yes Jimilee, but I use my battery from the outside through dcjack mount, so, I always remove mine anyways.It's just a trick, in that way you don't need to bother if it's stereo or mono, and better, you don't have to open the pedal everytime you want to replace a battery