News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

attenuator into my 50 watt tube amp

Started by garfo, September 14, 2013, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

8 Ohms is fine, that's what I run my amp on.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

garfo

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on September 18, 2013, 09:27:56 AM
8 Ohms is fine, that's what I run my amp on.
Cool, actually, the original appears to match the impedance of the amp, so I believe this one does the same.
I think I have one more silly question to you, this one is technical.On the magnet how do we measure the resistance, is it with all of the circuit connected, or prior to that just the magnet itself?!

gjcamann

I put the 15W version of this in a Valve Jr, and the 50W version in my Blues Jr - both work fine.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-262
They also have a nice faceplate
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-271
It's an L-pad and costs <$20. I just drill a whole in the side of the head and stall this. Looks pretty good, works great, when the level is 0, it basically takes the L-pad out of the circuit so you it doesn't interfere with tone.
I've been totally impressed with PE too, top notch service and super cheep prices.
At this price, you can try it and see if you like it before you spend $80 on parts to make something more complex - I was going down that path but tried this and was satisfied.

garfo

Well, my order has been placed already, will be doing the entire project.
How do we measure the L pad, is it with everything put together already, or before soldering everything, or it doesn't matter?

garfo

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on September 17, 2013, 12:24:09 PM
We didn't, as long as its a big box with enough air in, it should be fine, my box has never felt 'hot to the touch', even after heavy gigs.

If it'd put your mind at rest, it wouldn't do any harm..
George, a Technical question.The l pad that will have three different values, how do i make the measurement;do I do it before or after putting everything together!?d'you know what I mean?

hammerheadmusicman

Clayford

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

garfo

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on September 19, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
No idea I'm afraid. Never built one.

G
You never built one????????????
I'm confused, didn't you write this:"I have a dr z maz 18 amp, and I built a dr z air brake.

The break lite is up to 45 watts, and the air brake is the pricey one which does up to 100 watts.

I built an air brake and it sound killer.

I used this layout, complete with mouser numbers!

Be sure to buy the taps for the resistor, as they don't come with it.

http://www.andyharrison.net/files/AirbrakeLayout.jpg

Like I said, I use mine all the time, and it's not a tone destroyer like a lot of these kind of devices.

George"

hammerheadmusicman

Is thought you were asking me about the L pad, which I have never built.

garfo

Sorry, I mean the one of the resistors used to make the attenuator.One of them is a fixed resistor, and the other one has three values of resistance.I know I should measure it with a DMM, but my question is:Should it be doone on it's own before the assemblement, or after everything being assembled?
Sorry, I thought the resistors/magnets were called Lpads... :) I now know they are wirewound resistors

hammerheadmusicman

Yes, measure it before it goes in, that's what I did I think.

garfo

Thank you George.
I've started measuring and drilling.
On the rottary switch, do the pins that are in red, are they jumpered together, and where should I lock it, on the sixth pin????
By the way, on the diagram, which one is ground and wich one is tip on the switches?
http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/attenuator_layout_final_195.pdf

hammerheadmusicman

I used the old diagram, I am no authority on red things ;)