News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first successful (?) etch - Madbean Quasar

Started by PhiloB, September 13, 2013, 03:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

Jacob, you are not missing anything.  Its satisfying when you get a good etch, but frankly its a real PITA.  With services like OSHPark, and now their shared projects, it seems like etching really is not worth the trouble.

Gledison

Quote from: PhiloB on September 13, 2013, 02:31:43 PM
That sounds interesting Gledison.  What's it called?
Hey mate, here is the my previous post with the information:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10958.msg98545#msg98545

let me know if you need more information. it worked fantastic for me!!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: aballen on September 13, 2013, 05:28:59 PM
Jacob, you are not missing anything.  Its satisfying when you get a good etch, but frankly its a real PITA.  With services like OSHPark, and now their shared projects, it seems like etching really is not worth the trouble.

Unfortunately I do not agree with you. I can print out a design and in 45 minutes it will be etched, sanded and drilled and ready for me to populate. Its almost instant gratification. But, like i said in previous comments, I really enjoy it and it calms me to go through the whole process. Now saying this, I am learning Eagle (slowly) and cant wait to send something off to be fabbed but in the meantime etching is the way I prefer.

aballen

My etches are getting better but I find the through holes in a fabbed pcb seem to solder much better.

Jon P pointed out that better drill bits should help keep my holes from "puckering" I have to try that. 

das234

Quote from: aballen on September 13, 2013, 08:24:48 PM
My etches are getting better but I find the through holes in a fabbed pcb seem to solder much better.

Jon P pointed out that better drill bits should help keep my holes from "puckering" I have to try that.

Yes!  That's the real difference.  I can etch a board and have it today but it won't solder anywhere near as easily and cleanly as a fabbed board.  Compared to home-etched, fabbed boards are a dream to work with.  I'll definitely pay for that benefit on bigger and tighter layouts.   

hammerheadmusicman

I certainly agree with you Jacob, the buzz from getting an eagle layout back, and it fires up, is a good one!

These days I much prefer tinkering on the computer, then a box of boards come In the post, all shiny and ready to go, I also like the solder mask, and it's less 'labour intensive' I'm not in to sanding and drilling!!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

croquet hoop

... but when you have to wait a month before the boards show up, you begin to think that it would be cool to etch them yourself and have themwithin an hour.

I'm starting etching tomorrow  ;D

jimilee

It's just one more aspect of diy. i enjoy a well etched board as much as a fabbed. I haven't etched  myself because I just can't bear the thought of drilling it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 13, 2013, 11:08:25 AM
If you want, take a look at my process here http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=1388

For the most part this is still my daily process for PCBs. I feel my game stepped up when I started using the HP Glossy Presentation Paper in the beginning of the year.

Really nice guide. My toner transfers have just about always been disasters. Like Jacob, I moved on to Laen and Seeed pretty quick. Like to get back to doing enclosures, though.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

PhiloB

It's the instant gratification that attracts me to the etching.  That said, I see the benefit of learning Eagle CAD.

RobA

I like the feeling I get from both. I've only had one OSH board come back and a second one coming, so that thrill is still new. But, I hate the drilling part. 15$ and a 2 week wait are well worth it to me not to have to drill things. Still, I do plan on continuing to etch for some things.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Quote from: PhiloB on September 14, 2013, 12:22:01 AM
It's the instant gratification that attracts me to the etching.

Bah, you're all missing out. The drug of choice for the truly impatient is perfboard! I can snap off a piece and !@#$ up a freehand layout in less time than it takes you to drill the holes, mwa ha haaa.

I've also never etched. I guess there's no middle ground for me ... it's either wait for a PCB to arrive or build it on pad per hole. Frankly the chemicals scare me. I fear most anything stronger than dihydrogen monoxide.

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on September 14, 2013, 02:47:19 AM
Bah, you're all missing out. The drug of choice for the truly impatient is perfboard! I can snap off a piece and !@#$ up a freehand layout in less time than it takes you to drill the holes, mwa ha haaa.
I've only done one pedal on perf and it worked perfectly, but it hurt my brain to do it. It was the first pedal I did, so maybe I'd be a bit better at it now. But, it is a skill in its own right. You are right though, it's got to be the fastest way to get it done for a whole bunch of circuits.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

rullywowr

Etching got me started and i have done quite a few however lately I have been getting the satisfaction of having my own pcbs fabbed.  Come to think of it, once I got proficient with Eagle (And now Diptrace), I haven't etched a board.

A little advice for etching from my own experiences: 
1). Make sure to use steel wool or scotch brite to clean the copper followed by acetone or other solvent.

2). Get some 0.8mm carbide drill bits from ebay.  Forget using regular drills

3). Use MG chemicals "Liquid Tin". This stuff is great

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

Quote from: midwayfair on September 14, 2013, 02:47:19 AM
I fear most anything stronger than dihydrogen monoxide.

I see what you did there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals