News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first successful (?) etch - Madbean Quasar

Started by PhiloB, September 13, 2013, 03:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

After many attempts, I have my first pcb etch.  According to continuity tests, the traces are in tact...despite the imperfect etch.  Hopefully I'll get to drill and populate soon.  Experienced etchers, please let me know if you see any obvious issues.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PhiloB

I'm stoked Jimi.  The last etch I did didn't cut all the way through the copper and I had removed the toner before I realized it (working in low light).
I bought some harbor freight carbide bits and will hopefully drill tomorrow but it will be weeks before I can populate.  Have to sell something and place an order

selfdestroyer

Looking good. The more you do the process the better they get.. I just love the whole process of etching, its very calming to me.

PhiloB

fendman

Hey Philo, I do a fair amount of etches, and I think you have done all right there. I think everyone that does an etch including myself has good and bad ones.
So just find what suits you and stick with it.

Etching is fun.

Mike

selfdestroyer

Was looking at old posts on my blog and I found my very first PCB etch.

and here is one I made this week.

If you want, take a look at my process here http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=1388

For the most part this is still my daily process for PCBs. I feel my game stepped up when I started using the HP Glossy Presentation Paper in the beginning of the year.

PhiloB

Awesome, thanks Selfdestroyer. I used Chromosphere's 'address label' for toner which worked the best for me so far.  I wonder if my printer at work is not putting out enough toner.  The printer at my local Kinkos was smearing the toner as it fed through the machine.  May be time to buy my own:)

Gledison

Looks great mate! I still have troubles with the transfer process but think that the adhesive backing and magazine paper worked the best for me!
Look, ive bought a solder mask on ebay which u can easily "paint" ur board by brushing it and it cures via sunlight after 10 minutes! If u nees more info let me know!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

aballen

My earlier ones were pretty bad, but they got better.

Here is a recent one

For me PnP blue is what works.

PhiloB

That sounds interesting Gledison.  What's it called?

PhiloB

jkokura

Believe it or not gentlemen... I've never etched a PCB.

Congratulations, you are one level higher than me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

hammerheadmusicman

Jacob, you're missing a trick there mate, before I got fed up of tearing my hair out with transfer after transfer not working properly, I used to love having to go over it all with a sharpie, then having to saw it and drill it, it's real fun!

Actually, saying that, I remember now, it was like hell!

In all fairness there is something really satisfying about knowing you've etched the board, much like doing your own layout and it firing up straight away.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jkokura

I've lived in apartments with my small children since I had the opportunity to do something like etching. Because of that, I've always chosen to pay others to do the etching for me. I jumped onto Eagle and getting PCBs fabbed for myself early on though, because that was the most satisfying thing. Between having Ian or Austin or Brian etch PCBs for me, and then getting them manufactured... trust me, I got my fair share of satisfying moments.

But really, I know that I've never truly fully DIY'ed it yet. Kudos to the Etchers, you're one up on me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals