Main Menu

My first successful (?) etch - Madbean Quasar

Started by PhiloB, September 13, 2013, 03:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

PhiloB

hammerheadmusicman

I like PNP blue, it's the only thing I've ever had success with!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

billstein

That looks great. Good job!

chromesphere

I can do a respectable etch, but I think "print density" is one of the key things im missing.  We have 2 HP laser jets at the office, neither have this option.  Increasing print quality to 'pro-res' and removing all toner saving options makes an improvement but still doesnt pack on the toner in solid black areas and leaves those patchy areas.  I'm going to have to look into that.  My etchs would benefit from this change i think.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

aballen

I learned that using acetone to remove the toner will leave your traces crisp.  Originally I would sand them off.

Gledison

One hint from my side:
I was having almost a hundred unsuccessfull transfers! The reason was that i was copying an pasting the layout in order to print several in the same page! I couldnt see tht the reaolution is afected, not visually! But when i printe and used the original pdf file, ive got 100% right! So no copy paste
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

selfdestroyer

The tables turned for my etches once I went to the HP Glossy Presentation paper and a printer I can set the print density to "5" and I iron the heck out of my etches.. I do it until I can see all the traces through the paper. Then I let it cool then I soak it in water and peel the paper off the copper. I use the green scrubby side of a kitchen sponge to clean off all the paper (I really thought this would remove the toner traces but it doesn't) then into the etch bath it goes. I am going to do some more etching tonight and will take some photos of the process again. I think its time to update my tutorial some anyways.

Cody

catfud

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 17, 2013, 04:24:09 PM
The tables turned for my etches once I went to the HP Glossy Presentation paper and a printer I can set the print density to "5" and I iron the heck out of my etches..

Hi Cody, what printer do you use (with the print density feature)?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: catfud on September 17, 2013, 07:27:13 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 17, 2013, 04:24:09 PM
The tables turned for my etches once I went to the HP Glossy Presentation paper and a printer I can set the print density to "5" and I iron the heck out of my etches..

Hi Cody, what printer do you use (with the print density feature)?
http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=1388
From my blog post:
Laser Printer (HP LaserJet Pro P1102w with ePrint) I set the Print Density to 5 in the menu settings on the printer itself.

It has worked out well and it supports wireless ePrint and airprint. I love it since I can look at a build doc on my ipad and toss it to the printer and start etching.

lars

Great first etch! My first etch attempt went straight to the garbage, and many others since then. It is definitely an art, and there are a lot of builders here who excel at it. I recently bought my first prefab board for a project, and I don't think I can go back to trying to etch myself...

rullywowr

Quote from: Gledison on September 17, 2013, 03:25:56 PM
One hint from my side:
I was having almost a hundred unsuccessfull transfers! The reason was that i was copying an pasting the layout in order to print several in the same page! I couldnt see tht the reaolution is afected, not visually! But when i printe and used the original pdf file, ive got 100% right! So no copy paste

I find that using Inkscape is fine for duplicating PDF layouts and also creating PDF files to print. No problem.

Acetone works great for cleaning board prior to etch as well as removing toner.

My favorite tool for etching is my modified GBC laminator.  There is a how to on the net that shows you how to replace the thermistor inside  and fuse to get a higher temp. Pretty easy and works great.  Better results than an iron and was cheap to make.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

aballen

Please point me to this article.  My laminator has been more or less useless.  I switches the gears to slow the rollers,  but it just does not get hot enough.

rullywowr

Quote from: aballen on November 01, 2013, 01:07:03 AM
Please point me to this article.  My laminator has been more or less useless.  I switches the gears to slow the rollers,  but it just does not get hot enough.

Glad to.  I figured I would just gather a collection of links and make a more permanent thread about performing the mod on common laminators.  The new thread is here, hope it helps shed some light on this:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12089.0

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!