News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Add tone stack to Mangler?

Started by daverik, September 11, 2013, 02:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daverik

Greetings all,  I want to add a "Big Muff" style 2 pot tone control circuit to my Mangler build.  Would I just connect the "out" line from the Mangler board to the "in" side of the tone circuit and then continue out of the tone circuit to the amp? Dave.

Thomas_H

You would need at least an output driver (for example the last transistor stage in the big muff) to make up for the losses of the tonestack
DIY-PCBs and projects:

midwayfair

Quote from: Thomas_H on September 11, 2013, 05:58:16 PM
You would need at least an output driver (for example the last transistor stage in the big muff) to make up for the losses of the tonestack

Could also probably get away with making the 470R a 4.7K. That bumps up the output about 10dB, with most of that in the mids. I'd also double the output cap.

Or alternatively you can get a lot more output by just making the 470R the bias trimpot, jumpering the original spot for the trimpot, and taking the output directly from the collector of Q2. This gets rid of the voltage divider at the output of the circuit.

I'm under the impression that a FF has a scooped response. A BMP tone stack might exacerbate that. One of Jack Orman's versions has flat mids and the mid pot adds a peak. That one might be better suited to this circuit.

daverik

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll just build it "stock" for now.  I can always play with it after I get it done.  I have one of Jack Orman's tone stack built as a stand alone effect.  Maybe I'll just put it inline after the Mangler and see how it goes.  Again, thanks.  Dave