News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grön Overdrive ... a Grean Bean

Started by Vallhagen, September 08, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Hi folks.

This is the third ts i build, and this time i focused on the original ts808 components. But i couldnt resist to keep at least one mod; the asym clipping.... so convenient with boardmounted switch:). I picked 3*BAT43 for asym clipping, 2*1N914 as original.

I had... two problems to deal with: First, the boardmounted switch shorted the pins of the vol and drive-pots. They are placed too tight on the pcb. This surprised me a bit, am i the only one who experience this? I dont Think my Components (switch) are unusually space-craving. Anyway, i solved it with insulating tape, but its a fix i dont really like, for aging reasons.

Second dilemma... etching... i have read all the instructions and tutorials... i got myself some new etchant (FECLIII), but still, my etches dont go DEEEEEEP enuff! Some experiments later it looks like it does... and to be honest, this is the first pedal in a while where i am NOT happy of my enclosure design. I guess i can live with that though:)

Anyway, the bottom line must be: It is no surprise that this Circuit is considered "Theeee Overdrive" for many musicians. It simply is great, isnt it:)

pics (horrible quality on the first one):

Cheers!
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

wolfingsworth

Man that thing looks like the Incredible Hulk. Very nice aesthetics! I just finished boxing up a GB last night and I didn't have any problem with the board mounted switch (a Tayda on-off-on). Is the enclosure an etch? I'm curious how you achieved that finish...

kothoma

Maybe your design didn't turn out like you envisioned, but it turned out great!

Quote from: wolfingsworth on September 08, 2013, 04:49:44 PM
I'm curious how you achieved that finish...

Me too!

Vallhagen

Quote from: kothoma on September 08, 2013, 05:00:32 PM
Maybe your design didn't turn out like you envisioned, but it turned out great!

Hah! You guys are too kind! Well, put it this way; i like the design but not the result, if that makes sense. it turned out too blurry; "undefined".

And yes, it is an etch. My first idea was to make it "plain two-colored". Black letters and green patterns and the rest left aluminum blank. You get the idea. So i started out with the black parts. Fairly decent result. Then mask and paint the rest green. At that stage, i notice that the etched "dirt-darker" parts "shines through" the blank metallic areas, even with green paint. Partly because the green bottle of spray is of cheaper quality than the black i think. So i revalued my first idea and changed direction. I carefully sand the colors off to re-do the green without masking. Then the problem with not enough deep patterns arise. I accidently remove too much of the original black paint, and i really cant re-do that again, if i would, i would sand the patterns and text completely down. So i kept it as is.

Then, with the box blank again, i sprayed on a new thin layer of green and some clearcoat. Thats pretty much it.

Cheers:)

fendman

Its a great build, and glad the etch turned out in the end to be something you and everyone likes.
Nice one Bengt.

Mike

culturejam

Nice!

When I first saw this, I thought of Ebba Grön.   ;D

Häng Gud!!!! ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Vallhagen

Quote from: culturejam on September 09, 2013, 01:13:39 AM
Nice!

When I first saw this, I thought of Ebba Grön.   ;D

Häng Gud!!!! ;D

This is fantastic. You namedrop a swedish punksingle from...1979?!?!  :D ... Are you from scandinavia too? Or? Ebba Grön is really one of my biggest influences in music. I thought hardly noone outside sweden had heard of them even if they were (still are) very important for the swedish music scene.

Vad Ska Du Bli?  ;D

Quote from: fendman on September 08, 2013, 08:55:16 PM
Its a great build, and glad the etch turned out in the end to be something you and everyone likes.
Nice one Bengt.

Mike

Thanx Mike too:)

Cheers

Bret608

I think the build looks awesome!

You now must tell us more about this important figure from the Swedish punk scene. I love hearing about how punk/underground music played out in other social contexts besides the English-speaking ones.

spaceboss

Actually, this is by far one of my favorites of yours. Love the green tint, design, execution, everything.  8)

Vallhagen

Quote from: Bret608 on September 09, 2013, 03:43:50 PM
I think the build looks awesome!

You now must tell us more about this important figure from the Swedish punk scene. I love hearing about how punk/underground music played out in other social contexts besides the English-speaking ones.

Sure... just remember it was culturejam who started this ;).... i just built a grön (green) box... But yea i am sure in love with Ebba Grön, who were a band (not a figure) who pretty much were swedens biggest and best punk band back in the days, 77-82. The singer/guitarplayer Thåström is still very active on the Swedish scene, he has during the years played genres rom punk (obviously), new wave (early-mid 80-s), industrial hardcore to more singer-songwriter oriented stuff. He is - in one word - fantastic:). I googled a bit, and most written about them are in Swedish, but they are on the english wikipedia site too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebba_Gr%C3%B6n

...and sure you can find them on youtube:

... and again, to new readers of this thread, this video^^ has nothing to do with my box ;)

Cheers:)

Vallhagen

Quote from: spaceboss on September 09, 2013, 04:34:43 PM
Actually, this is by far one of my favorites of yours. Love the green tint, design, execution, everything.  8)

Wow. ok:) Thanx:)

Bret608

Thanks for sharing! I know it didn't have anything to do with your pedal, but I got curious after culturejam triggered that punk reminiscence.  :)  I enjoyed the clip--classic late 70s/early 80s underground.

pickdropper

I have to agree that this is one of my favorites that you've done.  The etch works really well with the green.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bcalla

hylandren

You can "live with it " ?
Sorry, but I think the enclosure design is great!
I love the color too.

I hear 'ya about etching, though.
It can be a fickle mistress...