News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anything similar to this DIY eqd tone job pedal

Started by LaceSensor, September 08, 2013, 08:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

micromegas

Raulduke's Tonemeister was a similar concept: 3 band eq (Baxandall topology, wich I find better than a pasive configuration) and active volume (with 11dB boost if I remember right).

I don't know if he is going to do more pcbs, but you can find the schematic in the build instructions that he kindly posted in the forum.

EDIT: and Raulduke's circuit runs at 18v vía charge-pump !

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

kothoma

Quote from: micromegas on September 08, 2013, 09:08:07 AM
Raulduke's Tonemeister was a similar concept: 3 band eq (Baxandall topology, wich I find better than a pasive configuration) and active volume (with 11dB boost if I remember right).

I don't know if he is going to do more pcbs, but you can find the schematic in the build instructions that he kindly posted in the forum.

EDIT: and Raulduke's circuit runs at 18v vía charge-pump !

See here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6905.0 (SJEffects_Tonmeister_BuildGuide.zip)

LaceSensor

raulduke

Replied to your PM Ian  ;)

The tonmeister is very usefull, and is operationally similar to the EQD (I've no idea whats 'inside the box' with the EQD though).

I am also working on the V2 of the Tonmeister, which will feature adjustable mid frequency (makes it a lot more usefull IMO).

I'll keep you guys updated.

micromegas

Quote from: raulduke on September 09, 2013, 01:49:15 PM
Replied to your PM Ian  ;)

The tonmeister is very usefull, and is operationally similar to the EQD (I've no idea whats 'inside the box' with the EQD though).

I am also working on the V2 of the Tonmeister, which will feature adjustable mid frequency (makes it a lot more usefull IMO).

I'll keep you guys updated.

Man, this sounds terrific, I lost the chance of getting one frome the first bach and I was thinking about puting it together myself, but if you're going to release another version count me in for it!!
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

raulduke

Cool; glad you like the sound of it!

I have the proto PCB's in my workshop. Just need to build the buggars up and check everything is hunky dory!

kothoma

Hey, that new version sounds interesting, would like to hear more about it. Has it parametric mids with a SVF?

raulduke

The mid band is not fully parametric (ie. you cannot change the Q). It is a version of the Wien middle band circuit.

The circuit uses a TC/MAX1044 bipolar supply to get +9 and -9V for the headroom and boost/cut range required.

The signal path goes INPUT ->Input Buffer -> Mid Band EQ -> Baxandall Treble+Bass EQ -> Output Preamp -> OUTPUT

All the stages are Opamp based (no transistors).

I have a few other builds to complete but it shouldn't be long till I have it going!

kothoma

kothoma

Has anyone tried to build this, maybe even made a board layout?
It has treble, bass, and parametric mids with variable bandwidth using a state variable filter.
http://hem1.passagen.se/robin2/im/giteq.gif
http://hem1.passagen.se/robin2/txt/giteq.txt
(http://hem1.passagen.se/robin2/effects.htm)

raulduke

I had a look into variable Q eq circuits, but I don't really think they are as usefull for guitar/bass purposes as they are in mixing/recording scenarios. A wide/mid Q value is usually more 'musical' sounding for most guitar tone applications.

Also, these circuits (including the one above) usually require stereo/dual potentiometers that need to have a low tolerance to ensure optimal operation.

kothoma

Interesting, so your Wien bridge bandpass filter doesn't need a dual pot for the frequency?

I think you're right about Q for regular mids (say around 700Hz)  but for high mids (say above 1200Hz) I find a more narrow bandwith usually better.

But I never found the tolerance of the dual gang frequency pot on a SVF really critical.

raulduke

Quote from: kothoma on September 10, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
Interesting, so your Wien bridge bandpass filter doesn't need a dual pot for the frequency?

I think you're right about Q for regular mids (say around 700Hz)  but for high mids (say above 1200Hz) I find a more narrow bandwith usually better.

But I never found the tolerance of the dual gang frequency pot on a SVF really critical.

No it uses a single gang pot which makes things much easier.

The Q changes slightly (gets narrower) as you increase boost/cut, but this behaviour also occurs in some of the old school EQ's and sounds 'musical' for want of a better word.

kothoma

Quote from: raulduke on September 10, 2013, 11:56:08 AM
No it uses a single gang pot which makes things much easier.

Yeah, that's nice.

Quote from: raulduke on September 10, 2013, 11:56:08 AM
The Q changes slightly (gets narrower) as you increase boost/cut, but this behaviour also occurs in some of the old school EQ's and sounds 'musical' for want of a better word.

That's nice, too.

BTW I just remember, the Nathan East eq has switchable Q. I think it's mostly for notches.