News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How To: FREE (Almost) component lead forming tool

Started by rullywowr, September 03, 2013, 02:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Well, I was working with some protoboard while I await my OshPark PCB's to come in.  I usually don't use vero/stripboard but I found this AVR Arduino project which piqued my interest here and I broke down and got out some vero (I used to etch, but now i've been spoiled lately by designing my own PCB's in Eagle):

http://www.instructables.com/id/YABBAS-Yet-Another-Bare-Bones-Arduino-on-Stripb/?ALLSTEPS

On step 4, the author shared how to make your own component lead forming tool out of some scrap stripboard.  It is quite simple, but if you are into making neat 90degree angle bends this gets the job done.

The commercial one costs around $5 plus shipping:

You can make your own for just about FREE if you have some spare stripboard scrap laying around:

Just thought I would share this with you, as I have never seen this technique before.  It makes much sense, especially when bending components to fit in larger spaces than normal.

Also, if you are into Arduino/AVR microcontrollers, check out the first link.  It is pretty awesome to have an AVR on stripboard for about $3 in parts which you can get from Tayda.  I've been doing some cool stuff with sensors and such with the ATMEGA328P and ATtiny85.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bcalla

Duh!  That's brilliant!

I have been meaning to get around to buying one of those, now I don't have to.  Thanks.

selfdestroyer

Head blown! I love when people find cool hacks like this.. especially with things that are in our face all the time and we never realize it. Thanks a bunch rullywowr.

Cody

muddyfox

wow!
not to sound like an *ss, but i never would have guessed that this isn't common knowledge. :)
i suppose it's because i started on vero and moved to other things so i never figured it for a big deal. i probably have half a dozen of these still lying around, "built" out of necessity.
but yes, these are a lifesaver if you are doing vero, i never could bend the components to size by eye only so this was the only way to make it neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

kothoma

BTW  What is the best way to bend a TO-92 transistor with straight leads into this form (bent lead tape & reel ammo pack style)

without breaking legs?

muddyfox

i've been doing it freehand with needlenose pliers and never broke a leg but it's a PITA. if there's a handy way of doing it i'd also very much like to know...

DutchMF

Don't bend 'm, first snip 'm of to the length you need, then slightly bend out the two outer legs, so they can slide in the socket (you do use sockets, don't you?). When all three legs are aligned with the socket, gently push down into the socket. No need to bend anything to a precise angle, always a snug fit, hasn't failed me once!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

bcalla

Quote from: DutchMF on September 03, 2013, 07:02:28 PM
Don't bend 'm, first snip 'm of to the length you need, then slightly bend out the two outer legs, so they can slide in the socket (you do use sockets, don't you?). When all three legs are aligned with the socket, gently push down into the socket. No need to bend anything to a precise angle, always a snug fit, hasn't failed me once!

Paul

But they look so much cooler when they are bent like the picture.   ;D

Droogie

This is awesome, as I'm about to embark on a large vero project this week. Thanks for the tip!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

muddyfox

@Paul: sometimes I do that but I spread it out first, then snip. not much of a difference but I always have a feeling that the outer legs are too short if I snip first. :)
also, I do it that way if I'm not expecting to remove them from the socket often. it really is a snug fit. if otoh I plan to swap it out often for testing or whatnot, then I bend the legs for easier insertion.
dunno, works for me....

kothoma

Leads are likely to break if you try to bend them above the red line. But the industrial ones seem to bent that high.

haveyouseenhim

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

muddyfox

yeah i was trying to steer clear of any dubious sentence construction but obviously not very succesfully. ;)