News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK Zeropoint Delay (Super Deluxe)

Started by jkokura, September 02, 2013, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

This was my second entry in the DIY Stompboxes 10 year contest! DIYSB has had a big impact on my life, and it was there that got me to jump two feet first into DIY pedals.

Name of entrant: jkokura
Pedal name: Zeropoint Delay
Tell us a bit about the pedal: This is a build of the Madbean project, Zeropoint Super Deluxe (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/ZeroPoint/ZeroPointSDX.pdf). I've chose this as my second build mostly because of the aesthetic appeal this pedal has for me. I rarely get to build pedals for myself alone, but both this entry, and the Ezekiel 37, are ones I've wanted to build a long time.

Again, this pedal is built from a Madbean PCB, inside an enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus finished in their "Snuffler Water" finish. It's gorgeous. It's also been labeled using the afore mentioned (See Ezekiel 37) Vancouver Island Printing House doing up a Decal for me, after I designed the graphics in Inkscape. The graphics are the outline of a generic city, which fits well with the font I used, which also features a cityscape.

Talk about controls! The Zeropoint has many: (R-L, Top-Bottom) Path controls an element of the repeats giving the potential for a clearer first repeat, Modulation turns the modulation on and off, Ghost creates a second feedback loop which leads to some crazy repeat patterns. Rate and Depth control the speed and intensity of the modulation, Mix controls the level of the repeats in comparison to the dry signal, while Repeats and Delay are dedicated to controling the length and number of echos. Finally, there is a rotary switch gives the option between four distinctly different sounds to the repeats. These options I've labelled as Digital, Shimmer, Tape and Analog. Also, the PCB allows for a 'slam' switch, or a runaway repeats switch. Pressing this footswitch makes the repeats go into 'noise' mode quite quickly.

I really like the sound of it. It gives a fairly accurate representation of what the PT2399 can do, but it's genuinely a useful delay, not just a toy. I can totally see myself seeing this live, and despite some tweaking I'd like to do to help get a bit more control on the repeats, I think this pedal is pretty darn amazing. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Pictures of the pedal (inside and out):

And the Guts.

Audio/Video:

Additional Details:

I used a Bypass board on this. It's literally nothing special, just a switch PCB with connections for wires so I can avoid having to solder wires directly to a switch. It also has pads to mount an LED. If this is needed, I will post the schem and layout, but it's the same as every one out there, just tailored to my needs.

Thanks for looking! I Hope you've enjoyed!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Very nice colour and graphics, and those knobs are straight as a razor! You sure entered with some cool stuff over at DIYSB, damn!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

stevie1556

Love the graphics on that! Really neat build, it looks great!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

steveperiod

great looking build. that finish is one of my favorites from ppp. and the cityscape graphic with that font looks super clean. well done.

pickdropper

That's a really nice looking build, Jacob.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

I really like the graphic theme! Super clean build all around.

spaceboss

Lovely pro-looking build and good demo!

So many things to build... Must build them all.  8)

micromegas

beautiful inside and out.... what kind of box is that by the way? I think it has the perfect size for the ZP Deluxe project
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Cortexturizer

fantastic looking thing, i really dig your style man, though that compressor you made a while back was a little prettier even hehe, gorgeous stuff
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: micromegas on September 03, 2013, 02:19:05 PM
beautiful inside and out.... what kind of box is that by the way? I think it has the perfect size for the ZP Deluxe project

Ok, taking a closer look at the photos I realized it is a 1590Q
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Bret608

I hope you win that contest! This is a winner for sure. I really like that enclosure, as well as the idea of having someone print a decal with your graphics in white.

jkokura

Quote from: micromegas on September 03, 2013, 02:35:12 PM
Quote from: micromegas on September 03, 2013, 02:19:05 PM

Ok, taking a closer look at the photos I realized it is a 1590Q

Thanks, and yes its a 1590Q.

My usual route is: 2 or 3 knobs = 125B, 4 knobs = 125BB, 5 knobs = 1590Q, and 6 knobs in a 1790NS. I like knobs to be straight across as often as possible, and with the spacing I use, to allow for 3/4" knobs, it means that these enclosure sizes will work best. I have, and will likely again, used 1590Bs, but I prefer top mounted jacks, which means my minimum enclosure is usually going to be the 125B.

I have done a couple 1590As, but I prefer not to. They don't actually save space for a pedal with a switch in it, and they're so small they tip over to easy. I use pedal train boards, and the 1590A size doesn't work well spanned over their gaps for cables to run under stuff.

Anyway, long story short, that's my philosophy on enclosures. I prefer some distance between the stomp switch and the knobs, so I used a 1590Q in that orientation rather than a 1590BB or 125BB in a sideways orientation.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pedalhealer

Nice job man! Is the second footswitch tap tempo function?
www.pedalhealer.com
instagram: pedalhealer_dot_com

jkokura

No, it's the common slam function of the ZPSDX. Goes into runaway repeats. Needs tweaking though.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

nzCdog

Wish I could build 'em like that... very nice jacob