News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK Ezekiel 37 (Boneyard)

Started by jkokura, September 02, 2013, 06:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

This was the first of my two entries for the DIY Stompboxes contest. DIY Stompboxes has had a big impact on my life as a DIYer, and I've been glad to both give back and also celebrate 10 years of awesome people doing DIY simultaneously. Thanks to Aron, and to the rest of the community there, I jumped two feet full in to DIY.

Name of entrant: jkokura
Pedal name: Ezekiel 37
Tell us a bit about the pedal: This is a build of the Madbean project, Boneyard (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Boneyard/docs/Boneyard.pdf), and also includes a PCB of my own design, which incorporates a buffer into the Bypass switch. The Buffer is of the Op Amp variety, and is always in the circuit, being in line before the switch.

This build has been a labour of several months, mostly I both worked ideas for the enclosure. The enclosure is a silver 125BB from Pedal Parts Plus, whom always gives me the best service when it comes to enclosures. The graphics are printed by a Printing house located on Vancouver Island, and is black lettering on a clear vinyl decal stock. The graphics, are a full text of Ezekiel 37 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+37&version=ESV), hence the name. The Chapter focuses on a prophecy which describes a field of skeletons, a 'boneyard' if you will.

The controls are simple: (R-L) Volume, Tone, Lo-Gain, Hi-Gain). One of the best features of this pedal is the hi/lo switch, which chooses between two pots for the gain levels. This makes the pedal versatile, and certainly feels much like hitting channel two, or a high gain mode on an amp.

As for the sound, I can't say how it compares to playing a real Marshall. However, I do feel it sounds really good, more amp-like than any other 'marshall in a box' pedal I've ever played. I really like this pedal, and I can see me using it, even though I rarely need anything that's very high gain. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Pictures of the pedal (inside and out):

And the Guts.

Audio/video:

Additional Details:

Aside from using a Boneyard PCB, from Madbean, I also used a buffered bypass board I created myself. The Schematic and Overlay are here below:

Thanks very much for looking at all this, I hope very much that you've enjoyed!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

That is very, very nice Jacob. I especially like the way you integrated the controls labeling in the rest of the text. I'll get out The Big Book tonight and give that part a read. When I read the thread title, I expected a Pulp Fiction theme, but that was Ezekiel 25  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

lincolnic

At first I thought that was an etch, and I was ready to be really impressed...then I saw how many Peeps you could fit inside, and I was still impressed.

(I still think the decal looks great!)

billstein

Great build, great name and great passage.