News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reusing/patching enclosures

Started by Beedoola, August 31, 2013, 06:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

Anyone done this? As it patching holes in enclosures, sanding them and drilling else where - because the layout was different for instance.

I've done it in the past, using Bondo, but I wanted to know if there are any other patching compounds that may work was well or better.

I forgot to order some enclosures and I have these lying around, not housing any circuits and I figured I could patch them, redrill and be dandy.

hammerheadmusicman

Make a face plate, it will cover any holes you don't want :)

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

juansolo

Used to, all the time as I do a lot of recycling of pedals. But I don't now. I came to the conclusion it's too much time and hassle for a £5 enclosure. It always ends up compromised in some way, so it's better to bin it and start from scratch.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

davent

I've done it with Bondo as well and found that i could eventually see the red Bondo dots through the light coloured paint job. Need to use a stain blocking primer over it to keep the patch invisible. Something else to try is JB Weld, tough, bonds well, grey the same colour as aluminum enclosures and best of all it lacks the noxious fumes of the Bondo. Used KB Weld on this hex utility box to cover up the hole plugs. (Lot of work and the boxes are tough to drill.)

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

JohnL

I have fixed a bunch of misdrilled holes with JB Weld and it has worked well.

wolfingsworth

I use a cherry veneer although the faceplate idea is pretty much the same.

Willybomb

I've only recycled one, used Kneed-It to fill in the holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Worked out well, but I also glued a top graphic over the to face which covered any issues.

das234

I just butchered my first attempt at the honeydripper box so I decided to patch it for a bass compressor.  I covered the holes on the inside with metal duct tape and filled them with metal 2-part epoxy I had around.  It took a long time to harden but it looks like it will work out well.