News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two Dumb Questions

Started by playpunk, August 27, 2013, 11:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

1. Can I ground my test rig ground to the sleeve of one of the jacks?

2. Are there any "debugging for dummies" threads floating around?
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jkokura

No dumb questions there!

All you grounds need to be connected to the sleeve of your jacks. So, without knowing your specific setup for testing, I would say that yes, you need to connect ground to the sleeve of both jacks, or rather that your grounding should include the sleeves of both jacks.

Yes, there are some debugging threads, including the 'rules for getting tech help' thread you can find here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

Welcome to the hobby!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

playpunk

Sweet. Well I built the testing rig, like in the stickied post, and it seems like r3 ( in the egodriver) is the (first) culprit.

Now I need to desolder and try again.

And for. Third dumb question, if I take the pots out of the circuit, can I still test it? It is hard to get to the board with the board mounted pots

Darkknigh_t

Quote from: playpunk on August 28, 2013, 01:47:13 AM
Sweet. Well I built the testing rig, like in the stickied post, and it seems like r3 ( in the egodriver) is the (first) culprit.

Now I need to desolder and try again.

And for. Third dumb question, if I take the pots out of the circuit, can I still test it? It is hard to get to the board with the board mounted pots
Pots are resistors and they are a part of the circuit so you need them for the current to go through your pedal. My suggestion is to use wires for the pots that way you get more space :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

playpunk

That is what I figured. Well back to work I suppose

rullywowr

Just a side note:

While you can rely on the enclosure itself to carry ground, I am a proponent of hooking up each input/output sleeve jack to ground anyways.  The reasoning is that if the jacks ever become loose, some paint or powdercoat interferes, or there is a bad connection for whatever reason....your circuit will still work.  It's one or two wires extra but worth it for reliability (in my book).

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!