News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Pedal Power

Started by Natman, August 23, 2013, 01:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natman

Hey guys, this is a true DIY community, so I figured to ask what has been on my mind for years now:

Is there a DIY project or kit out there for pedal power?

I really don't want to drop ~$200 for my power needs but I want to stop using One Spot + daisy chain because I know it's not ideal. Furthermore, I need 9, 12 and 18 Volts for my pedals and even Voodoo Labs won't cut it (mainly because of the mA required for my Kingsley).

Since these fancy conditioned & isolated pedalboards are no more complicated than the pedals we build, it must be possible to roll your own using Mouser/Digieky etc?

Anyway, respond if you know!
Thanks

RobA

There are several here, http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/24-power-supplies. You can mix-and-match the circuits there to build up pretty much anything you want in a power supply.

I took what I think is an even easier path to build myself a bench supply for pedals after the supply I was using blew. I used a 12V AC-AC 1.5A wall wart transformer and then rectified it in the power supply housing and used regulators to set the voltage. Mine has a 5V, 9V, and two variable that do 4V to 15V outputs. It's very easy and cheap.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

I feel like someone needs to say this early:

Power supplies are dangerous. They deal with mains power and DEADLY VOLTAGES. Please be safe.

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on August 23, 2013, 01:30:01 PM

Power supplies are dangerous. They deal with mains power and DEADLY VOLTAGES. Please be safe.
Very true. That's part of the reason I used the external transformer path -- no high voltage involved.

I used this transformer at Mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/WAU12-1500/?qs=%2fha2pyFadui7nkAlehm3pXK75oG1ctRT1Ik1vprsTVM%3d

I only needed 15 volts. To get 18V you would need to go to a higher output AC voltage.

Edit: I think a 15VAC output would get you the needed 18V regulated DC. One thing that you can't get this way is isolated individual outputs. So, if you really want that you'd need to use the internal transformers method.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

gjcamann

Quote from: RobA on August 23, 2013, 01:40:51 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on August 23, 2013, 01:30:01 PM

Very true. That's part of the reason I used the external transformer path -- no high voltage involved.

I used this transformer at Mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/WAU12-1500/?qs=%2fha2pyFadui7nkAlehm3pXK75oG1ctRT1Ik1vprsTVM%3d

I only needed 15 volts. To get 18V you would need to go to a higher output AC voltage.

Edit: I think a 15VAC output would get you the needed 18V regulated DC. One thing that you can't get this way is isolated individual outputs. So, if you really want that you'd need to use the internal transformers method.

You could use an external transformer (i.e. wall wart) that steps down to 24 VAC or 15 VAC (etc), then use 1:1 or 2:1 transformers to get isolated taps from that. I think I just talked myself into this design :-) 

RobA

Quote from: gjcamann on August 23, 2013, 02:08:30 PM
You could use an external transformer (i.e. wall wart) that steps down to 24 VAC or 15 VAC (etc), then use 1:1 or 2:1 transformers to get isolated taps from that. I think I just talked myself into this design :-) 
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. I went to Mouser to look for the right transformers for the 1:1 part and haven't found one yet. But, they have a ton of transformers and I'm not sure of the right search parameters. If you know of or find a good one, please post a link.

jkokura

I think on a general level, these aren't common projects because you can buy commercial supplies for much less than the cost of building them. Between the danger, and the lack of common/typical housings, it's usually not a big/significant cost savings.

A power-all, or one-spot, can be had for like $20-30.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals