News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Board mounted pots

Started by RobA, August 22, 2013, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

As the result of another discussion here, I've designed a distortion/overdrive on breadboard. I like the results enough and it's different enough that I'm laying out a board for it that I'm considering making available/selling. The circuit would probably benefit from using board mounted pots and this brings up a question that I've been thinking about. I prefer the 9mm pots like these http://www.taydaelectronics.com/10k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometer-round-shaft-pcb-9mm.html and now that they are more widely available it seems reasonable to use them. But this kinda runs against the norm of using the 16mm Alpha PCB pin pots. So, this brings up the question would using using the 9mm pots bother anyone too much? Is there anything that really puts people off about using them? Any other points or opinions?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

croquet hoop

Tayda sells them for cheap and their shipping costs are very reasonable. If you feel that they'll go well with the board you designed, by all means, go for it. I think Stompdown sells boards made for board-mounted 9mm pots, I haven't seen any complaints about them  ;D

drezdn

It wouldn't keep me from getting a board I was interested in. I just don't keep a stash of 9mm like I do 16mm, so I always know that I'll need to order them if a build uses them.

RobA

Thanks for the input. It's particularly nice to know that others are using them already. I know about the 16mm stash thing. I've got one too -- makes me think I need to get into synth DIY and use up a bunch of them.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).