News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is it possible to have Sample/Hold without the Filter?

Started by GhostofJohnToad, August 21, 2013, 05:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

So I was thinking about my Tonepad FSH1 and my nearly complete sharkfin and I got to wondering, would it be possible to design a Sample/Hold only pedal?  All designs I have seen are variations of the FSH and as a result combine the 2 effects.  I really like the sample/hold effect but the filter portion is done so well with many other pedals.  I thought it would be cool to squeeze it into a 1590B or even a wah shell such that the wah pot would control speed.  Is this a wasted thought? Could it be done?  I did see that the Music from Outer Space website has a Sample/hold board but this appears to be an add-on to a synth. http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&PROJARG=MICROSAMPLEANDHOLD/MICROSAMPLEANDHOLD.html&VPW=1385&VPH=535

midwayfair

'Sample and hold' is a type of circuit. The shark fin uses a sample and hold to do things with a filter sweep. Removing the filter sweep will not really give anything for the s&h part to do. I'm not sure in fact what it would do. It might sound like a stutter or something. Or it might sound like nothing.

Some light reading:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_and_hold

And its sources.

icecycle66

So does this mean you can have a distortion, or filter, or delay, or phase sample/hold?
In which the first listed effect only acts on the sample/hold section?

Does that mean anything?
Would that do anything?

GhostofJohnToad

Quote from: icecycle66 on August 22, 2013, 12:16:17 AM
So does this mean you can have a distortion, or filter, or delay, or phase sample/hold?
In which the first listed effect only acts on the sample/hold section?

Does that mean anything?
Would that do anything?

Good point.  I would assume yes. But with delay would the delay time be essentially defined by the time the hold holds and then releases?  Is the SH best served with short delay effects? Trying to wrap my head around this.

RobA

Sample and hold in the synth world is usually set up as a modifier for a CV control. That's what the MFOS circuit is for. I haven't built an FSH-1 but it looks to me that this is how it's being used there too.

In general the S&H has two CV inputs, an LFO and a trigger for the sample. The trigger is often a random source. But, since most everything in the synth world is modular, the two inputs can actually be anything (and for example are often reversed with the sampled signal being random and the trigger being the LFO). Whatever you use as the inputs, the output would be a CV control that would be used to run some effect, filter sweep, tremolo, distortion level (overdrive/noise circuit).

You could take the S&H circuit (which also looks to be an autowah type CV generator) from the FSH-1 and run pretty much any effect that uses a CV control.

Edited: Note that even though this is the same technique as used in digital sampling it is used in a different way and generally on a different input signal(s).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).