News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Starman Phase - Stage Fright build

Started by eldanko, August 19, 2013, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

I'M BACK.

Actually, *most* of my pedal building stuff is still sort of scattered from my recent move, but I did manage to dig out enough to finish this thing up.

It's a Stage Fright built to stock specs (no UniVibe mod). The enclosure is "Black Chrome Cherry" from PPP and looks nothing like the photo on their site, to be honest. ;) Nevertheless, it looks pretty cool with the clear decal on it. This particular enclosure ended up with some imperfections during the move, so the aesthetics aren't perfect. Can anyone name the video game the graphic comes from? (calling all fellow nerds...)

Sound-wise, I'm not entirely sure if it's working properly. On the 5 stage setting, I get a good deal of added bass with the mids sucked out a bit. On the 6 stage setting, I get a good deal of mids and highs but almost no bass frequencies. I initially ordered 2 LM13700s instead of 3 and ended up getting my 3rd one from a different source later (see pics)... could that be the culprit? I've already double checked my cap values...

NOW WITH MOVING PICTURES!

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

lincolnic

eldanko

raulduke

Sweet build dude.

I thought the same when I built mine; that something wasn't built right due to the large tonal variations between the two settings.

After a bit of research though I think the large tone variations between 5 stages and 6 may be the nature of the beast. Would be cool if Brian could clear up any confusion over the matter though.

I've got used to mine now and think its a great phaser.

kothoma

Great looking. And really tight at the top! Will have cost you some nerves.

pickdropper

First if all, those graphics + knob choice = total win.

As far as the sound, I noticed the exact same thing on my Andromeda build.  The 5/6 stage switch gives totally different sounds, but neither one is exactly what I am looking for.

Try playing with the caps in the feedback loop on the chips.  I believe they are C4-C9.  I believe Scruffy said that increasing them will address this.  Some like the values used in the small stone (6.8nF?).  I actually bought a second board and socketed these positions so that I can play around and not go into the Andromeda until I have decided what I want.

I believe Brian said his original Maestro sounded  exactly like what you get with the stock values, but he can correct me if I am mistaken.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jimilee

Did you mess with the trim pot? Mine is turned all the way up, that's where the switch is most noticeably different. There isn't a huge difference in 5 or 6 stages though.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Vallhagen

Brilliantly tight; great enclosure work:)
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

eldanko

Thanks for the kind words guys. It really didn't seem that tight putting it together... if you notice, the pots aren't board mounted so I didn't have to worry too much.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the difference in stages; I was trying to compare my sounds to the tones 'Bean was getting in the demo vid, but I suppose there's too many different factors at play to really make a fair comparison.

Nevertheless, I am happy with the sounds I'm getting and can certainly find uses for them.

jubal81

Brilliant! I really love this - especially the way you did the control fonts.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lincolnic

Quote from: eldanko on August 19, 2013, 03:47:35 PM
Quote from: lincolnic on August 19, 2013, 03:37:06 PM
Sweet Earthbound reference!

We have a winner.  ;D

You mean I get to take the pedal home? Sweet, I'll PM you my address!  ;D

jkokura

I really like that look man. Clean Dane.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Working good now... sounds much bigger at full volume. Added a video!