News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Muff?

Started by chromesphere, August 16, 2013, 01:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

I sampled a whole lot of Muffs in my days, and I must say I liked something about all of them.... ;D
Now the requisite Muff joke is out of the way, I can tell you it's actually quite true. I have a Mudbunny board with nothing but sockets, and I've tried all the different versions from Brians buid doc, plus a lot of experimentation with transistors and diodes. Can't decide which I liked best.... Second Mudbunny built to VRH specs is on my board at the moment, and I like that a lot, but can't remember what trannies or diodes are in that one. I'll be ordering a board from OSH Park soon that allows me to easily build all versions from Juan's spreadsheet, and the first two on my list are the Ultrastoner and P19. I'm also quite interested in the Pharaoh, so if anyone has a schematic, I might be able to incorporate that in the board... And once confirmed working I'll share it with all you Muff-lovers out there!

MuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuffMuff
;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

TNblueshawk

Well just in case my wife jumps on here I like my wife's the best. After many years of playing I know where to set the tone knobs, she has two, and the drive knob in order to get the volume I need. This is not the tranny version by the way.

Ok, I only jumped in here for the jokes. Can't add much else. Carry on  ;D

Ok...one more...I like the Triangle Muff  :o
John

DutchMF

Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 16, 2013, 03:21:30 PM
Well just in case my wife jumps on here I like my wife's the best. After many years of playing I know where to set the tone knobs, she has two, and the drive knob in order to get the volume I need. This is not the tranny version by the way.

You just won my vote for best Muff joke in this thread!! One thing: I thought the Triangle Muff went out of style at the end of the '80's??

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Quote from: chromesphere on August 16, 2013, 05:14:34 AM
Hey would darlingtons work in a big muff?  lol

Actually: They don't. At least, I wasn't able to get it to work even with rebiasing to 6v (an MPSA14 biased to like 8v with stock values! that won't work ...) until I pulled out the diodes. Check out the Whisker Biscuit for a Big Muff-y implementation that uses a Darlington. I should say that I prefer a Biscuit with some tweaks in the tone stack to a real BMP. Add a gain control and frankly there are a lot of settings that are identical, but there's just something more explosive about the distortion in the Biscuit.

Oh, we haven't even discussed the fun that can be had by completely reworking the tone stack. AMZ has some cool tone stack variations.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DutchMF on August 16, 2013, 03:31:14 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on August 16, 2013, 03:21:30 PM

You just won my vote for best Muff joke in this thread!! One thing: I thought the Triangle Muff went out of style at the end of the '80's??

Paul

Like they say Paul, it all comes back around if you wait long enough!
John

juansolo

Ultra Stoner. A sort of Skreddy ?Lady with a mid pot.

or

The '71 Triangle... Depends on the day of the week.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GhostofJohnToad

Different muffs for different stuffs.  Ya know what I'm saying?  When the muff matches the drapes it's a very nice thing ;). unless of course you are a fan of hardwood floors.  I don't discriminate!

I'm torn between my recent mudbunny pharaoh, civil war, and mayo builds.  But I think I have to give the nod to the pharaoh for versatility.

ch1naski

I'm personally looking for a happy medium between the super dark doom of the Pharaoh, and something open, with a bit of mids, and articulate.
Preferably in the same enclosure, switchable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

kothoma

ch1naski

There's also a PCB layout over at diysb, verified (I built it)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

BuGG

My vote is for the v4 opamp version, hands down my favorite Muff to date.

Just built one yesterday and put it in a stock EHX enclosure.

Build thread here (with sound clip):  http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/266721-npb-big-muff-pi-v4-op-amp.html

Haberdasher

Quote from: ch1naski on August 17, 2013, 06:46:38 AM
i couldn't find it just now.  which thread?

edit:  never mind found it on fsb
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

ch1naski

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 24, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

I stand corrected. fsb, not diysb. Sorry about that..???

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

one louder.

Haberdasher

Quote from: ch1naski on August 25, 2013, 04:21:35 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on August 24, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

I stand corrected. fsb, not diysb. Sorry about that..???
no worries, man; i'm wagging no fingers.  i get those 2 sites jumbled up in my noggin all the time.  :)
thanks for the heads up on this, it'll be interesting to take a look at the layout and parts.
do you like it?  seems like i saw you mentioned it wasn't as 'sabbath' as you hoped.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

ch1naski

Well, maybe because I play in standard tuning.....my kid is into sabbath and he LOVES that pedal. ;) it is a bit dark for my tastes.
one louder.