News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Muff?

Started by chromesphere, August 16, 2013, 01:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

My favorite is usually whichever one I just finished building.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lars

My favorite Big Muff sound isn't from a Big Muff at all. The Electro Harmonix Micro Synth is like a Big Muff on steroids. It gives you the same heavy fuzz sound but with the added octave controls and sweep options. Most people think they are hearing a Big Muff on Smashing Pumpkins recordings, but the Micro Synth was used much more; and still part of their regular pedal board setup. It would be an interesting pedal to try to clone...

ch1naski

I used to use a vintage bass micro synth, and it was a huge sound, altho a bit gated. I loved it.
one louder.

Willybomb

I'm first to admit that I haven't played with enough muffs.

Got a rabbithole here though, think I might build it to PI specs, or something.

stringsthings

One of the first pedals that I ever bought way back around 1980 was a Big Muff Deluxe.  I didn't know the differences between op amps
and transistors then, but I really liked the sound of the Deluxe.   ( for some reason, when you turned the compressor on, it was in parallel
with the fuzz ... not my cup of tea )  So my favorite is the op amp  version.

OT:   I would really like to build a clone of the compressor.  By itself, it had a over-the-top kind of squish effect that I liked.  Totally
not transparent.  I've read it was a soul preacher, and I've breadboarded one of those and it didn't have that sound.  If anyone knows
of a working soul preacher circuit, I'd be very interested.
All You Need Is Love

thesmokingman

"Where's Carl?"
all zombie thread jokes aside ...
my first pedals were an op amp big muff and early v1 small stone I paid a whole $20 for at a yard sale ...
the "ram's head 73 #18" on kitrae is the sound I think of when I think of "the big muff sound" ...
I can also admit to buying into the hype of sovtek amps and pedals because that was what was in magazines and catalogues when I was a teen.
now if I were to pick just one out of that, I guess it would be the op amp big muff
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

I must say, I haven't played with nearly enough muffs either. I do like the green Russian tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

I've built almost every of the EHX Muff variants on Kitrae's site. Of them I like the all ceramic Triangle and the Violet Ram the most. Many Muffs are way too boomy and muddy for my taste but these have the right balance. The op-amp is also very good in its own way. Of the Russian Muffs I never liked the Green Russian, to muddy for my taste, but I can understand why bass players love them. The Civil War was more to my taste.

The best Muffs though are the Skreddy Muffs. They're all good in their own way with my favorites being the Mayonaise III and the P19. The latter you can actually use with a mid boost switch. Which is something that is mandatory for basically all Muffs. The scoop may sound great in the bedroom, but in a band setting it will murder your sound faster then an AK-47. I've installed the Skreddy mids switch in all my Muffs and just flicking it to the flat setting is basically all you need to reappear in a mix again.

stringsthings

Quote from: Muadzin on December 09, 2016, 10:29:44 PM
The latter you can actually use with a mid boost switch. Which is something that is mandatory for basically all Muffs. The scoop may sound great in the bedroom, but in a band setting it will murder your sound faster then an AK-47. I've installed the Skreddy mids switch in all my Muffs and just flicking it to the flat setting is basically all you need to reappear in a mix again.

Very true.   When I was a teenager, I didn't know much about EQ in general, so I always wondered why my guitar would sound buried in a band sound.
But I always loved that distorted, fuzzy sound.   Since it was my first experience with distortion, it made a huge impression on me.
All You Need Is Love

JC103

Here is clip from a dude on the Gilmour forum, it should suffice for the dirty mind in the gutter muff rhetoric required by the OP:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-uctPysAs&feature=youtu.be

I've got about 6 muff builds kicking around. Triangle, Violet Ram x2, Civil War x2, and the Duplex Drive G2. They all sound different, it really is amazing what component type n' tolerances do to the circuit. Wima vs. generic box caps, ceramic vs. mica, or even tropical fish. Then there are the trannies which add another dimension to the texture of the distortion. You could spend years trying to find the right one. Looking forward to trying out the ?Lady and the Mayo. So far NOS trannies, tight tolerance ceramics, and fish caps seem to be the most pleasing to my ear.

Try adding a the Cornish buffer inline before the muff, you may find you do not need a mid switch after all. Just add volume and you'll cut through! (100w EL34 powered amps are a prerequisite lol)

darrenw6000

i did see a diy pedal somewhere where someone had a rotary switch where they could select the various muff's, i thought that was a cool idea.

Only sampled 2, the triangle and rams head, definitely preferred the triangle. I would love to sample some more variety of muff.

jimilee

Nice fuzz pedal

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Nice fuzz pedal

dont-tase-me-bro

having all the different versions on a rotary switch is a cool idea
I thought this would save me money.