News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transformerless directbox

Started by jimilee, August 14, 2013, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 17, 2013, 11:20:39 AM
I'll probably just add the switch to overpass the filters, as RobA suggested, and not the Condor, as it will result in a complicated build. I'll post results and build reports when I get to build it!
Thanks!

Hector
anxiously awaiting your results!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Ettore_M

Quote from: jimilee on August 17, 2013, 03:06:51 PM
Quote from: Ettore_M on August 17, 2013, 11:20:39 AM
I'll probably just add the switch to overpass the filters, as RobA suggested, and not the Condor, as it will result in a complicated build. I'll post results and build reports when I get to build it!
Thanks!

Hector
anxiously awaiting your results!
Me too! I have a lot of my projects waiting to be verified (this one, SMD MXR Dist+, SMD Really Cheap Compressor, my "Wicked Switch", for which I also made a double-sided layout to be fabbed, and the list goes on..). But I hope this will be the first to build, 'cause I need it for some recordings. Hopefully, I'll finish it late September.

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jimilee

Quote from: raulduke on August 14, 2013, 04:44:27 PM
Another nice simple one for you here as well:

http://www.muzique.com/news/guitar-direct-box/

Also, Jack Orman (AMZ Muzique guy) sells PCB's for his DI box circuit.

He is a good guy, and somewhat of a DIY legend (creator of fabled Minibooster and Mosfetbooster circuits) so is worth supporting!
So I'm going with the AMZ direct box and a jmk pcb for the headphone amp. In a multi effect box, can I come off of the last effect and into a dpdt on/on switch and have that toggle between the headphone amp and the transformerless direct box and both of those be wired to the output jack? I don't know how I get myself into these things, but a friend asked me to build this monstrosity for him. 4 effects, a headphone amp and a direct box.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

kothoma

Quote from: jimilee on September 07, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
In a multi effect box, can I come off of the last effect and into a dpdt on/on switch and have that toggle between the headphone amp and the transformerless direct box and both of those be wired to the output jack?

How many output jack would there be?
- (asymmetric) regular pedal out (before DI box and phone amp)
- (stereo?) phones
- symmetric DI out: 1 TRS and 1 XLR, or only one?

No need for a switch then. Or are any of these outputs to be combined? Are you sure he doesn't want DI and phones at the same time (for direct monitoring perhaps)?

kothoma

And you surely had a look at http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10123.0 already?
It provides cab sim, headphone amp (stereo) and DI out.

jimilee

Quote from: kothoma on September 08, 2013, 05:37:59 AM
Quote from: jimilee on September 07, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
In a multi effect box, can I come off of the last effect and into a dpdt on/on switch and have that toggle between the headphone amp and the transformerless direct box and both of those be wired to the output jack?

How many output jack would there be?
- (asymmetric) regular pedal out (before DI box and phone amp)
- (stereo?) phones
- symmetric DI out: 1 TRS and 1 XLR, or only one?

No need for a switch then. Or are any of these outputs to be combined? Are you sure he doesn't want DI and phones at the same time (for direct monitoring perhaps)?
This looks like what my goal is, 3 outs. DI will be XLR, regular pedal out and head phone out.

jimilee

Bump for the dumb guy. Would I need a buffer / splitter  off the last effect?