News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transformerless directbox

Started by jimilee, August 14, 2013, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kothoma

Right. You could even do convolution then...
But if you want to stay analogue or need a cab sim for a headamp then the Condor is a nice way.

RobA

Quote from: kothoma on August 16, 2013, 10:47:56 AM
But if you want to stay analogue or need a cab sim for a headamp then the Condor is a nice way.
Yep it does look nice. I've been meaning to build one for a bit. Actually, I've been thinking about stereo lately and doing a stereo Supro from ROG. I love the Supreaux Deux I built (I did delete the speaker sim section). Adding a stereo Condor cab sim could be really cool for running direct to a PA.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

Quote from: RobA on August 16, 2013, 11:00:40 AM
Quote from: kothoma on August 16, 2013, 10:47:56 AM
Yep it does look nice. I've been meaning to build one for a bit. Actually, I've been thinking about stereo lately and doing a stereo Supro from ROG. I love the Supreaux Deux I built (I did delete the speaker sim section). Adding a stereo Condor cab sim could be really cool for running direct to a PA.
Stereo, so you put some stereo fx in front?
Does the Supreaux Deux do clean/semi clean/light break-up or is it strictly distortion?

Ettore_M

Quote from: RobA on August 16, 2013, 10:39:49 AM
Personal preference here but if you are taking the signal into the digital world after the DI, then forget doing the speaker sim in analog and use a 5-band parametric EQ on the digital side. You can get much closer to actual speaker/cab frequency responses this way and it is far more flexible/easy to change between various different enclosure geometries, number of speakers, etc. Even if you are just going into a board with high and low shelf plus one or two parametric EQ's you can probably get a better cabinet sim than you'll get out of any of the analog versions of cabinet sims I've seen.
Nice thought! I didn't think like that. This way, you could use your DAW's digital cab simulation (Amplitube, Guitar Rig). So you think it's better if I live out Red Box's cab sim or add an on/off switch for it??

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

RobA

Quote from: kothoma on August 16, 2013, 11:37:21 AM
Does the Supreaux Deux do clean/semi clean/light break-up or is it strictly distortion?

Yeah, some stereo fx in front and some behind probably.

The Supreaux does some really nice clean to warm breakup. Like all the JFET based amp sims I've tried so far, it can easily get to some very silly levels of distortion, but the main reason I like it is the clean to warm side and then that it does respond well to having an OD whacked into it. It's not tubes, but it is good.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 16, 2013, 12:15:20 PM
... So you think it's better if I live out Red Box's cab sim or add an on/off switch for it??
Hector
If you can get it so you can switch it in and out, that would be the most versatile. It would be great to have the cap sim in some live situations where you don't want to do a digital interface and just want to be straight into the PA.

kothoma

Quote from: RobA on August 16, 2013, 12:52:24 PM

The Supreaux does some really nice clean to warm breakup. Like all the JFET based amp sims I've tried so far, it can easily get to some very silly levels of distortion, but the main reason I like it is the clean to warm side and then that it does respond well to having an OD whacked into it. It's not tubes, but it is good.

Yes, even a BSIAB2 has nice clean/low gain.
So this will probably be the next thing after building an Azabache... (and two dozen others).
Thanks for pointing this out!

Ettore_M

Quote from: RobA on August 16, 2013, 12:54:54 PM
If you can get it so you can switch it in and out, that would be the most versatile. It would be great to have the cap sim in some live situations where you don't want to do a digital interface and just want to be straight into the PA.
Thanks a lot for this! It's something I haven't thought about. I'll try to add a switch to the cab sim. I just don't know which part of the circuit it is. I'll read some in the ROG, and maybe add a Condor as the cab sim. That would be versatile.

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

kothoma

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 16, 2013, 02:06:34 PM
Quote from: RobA on August 16, 2013, 12:54:54 PM
Thanks a lot for this! It's something I haven't thought about. I'll try to add a switch to the cab sim. I just don't know which part of the circuit it is. I'll read some in the ROG, and maybe add a Condor as the cab sim. That would be versatile.
What version/schematic of the Red Box are you using? I remember one with two Sallen-Key lowpass filters as a cab sim.

kothoma

Quote from: RobA on August 16, 2013, 12:52:24 PM

Yeah, some stereo fx in front and some behind probably.

So you'd use dual pots?

RobA

Quote from: kothoma on August 16, 2013, 04:36:46 PM
So you'd use dual pots?
That's a good question. At first I thought I would, now I think probably not. I think I'd like the flexibility that would come from having individual channel control.

noobtoob

Hey guys, new to the forum (well... new-ish. I'm kinda lurking/learning), this thread is right up my alley and I hope I get to build a DI when I get funds! I've been looking for something I may have seen a build of, anybody have links for an amp/cab emulator or, maybe, what tone-shaping considerations I should make designing my own? I know enough to (with Google) get myself through a project stem to stern, so I was hoping to design at least the schematic.

Ettore_M

Quote from: kothoma on August 16, 2013, 02:12:32 PM
What version/schematic of the Red Box are you using? I remember one with two Sallen-Key lowpass filters as a cab sim.
I use the Classic version. Yes, it has indeed two Sallen key low-pass filters. Now I wonder what I could do in the circuit. The only way is to use a switch to switch between using the two filters or "jumping" them to the final stage.

Hector
- Culturejam

kothoma

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 17, 2013, 09:23:04 AM
Quote from: kothoma on August 16, 2013, 02:12:32 PM
I use the Classic version. Yes, it has indeed two Sallen key low-pass filters. Now I wonder what I could do in the circuit. The only way is to use a switch to switch between using the two filters or "jumping" them to the final stage.
Most signific difference between
http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/hughes-kettner/hughes-kettner_red_box_classic_sch.pdf_1.png
and
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/H&K_RedBox-MkII.gif
is that little extra passive filter between the input stage and the first LP stage.
To put in a Condor you would only use the input stage and inverter stage for the "cold"/(-) output of the XLR.
Edit: You would probably skip the input stage of the Condor then.

Ettore_M

I'll probably just add the switch to overpass the filters, as RobA suggested, and not the Condor, as it will result in a complicated build. I'll post results and build reports when I get to build it!
Thanks!

Hector
- Culturejam