News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transformerless directbox

Started by jimilee, August 14, 2013, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Been searching with some googlefoo, can anyone give me some advice or point me to a transformerless direct box?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

kothoma

jimilee

Thanks, I knew that post was around here somewhere!  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

raulduke

Another nice simple one for you here as well:

http://www.muzique.com/news/guitar-direct-box/

Also, Jack Orman (AMZ Muzique guy) sells PCB's for his DI box circuit.

He is a good guy, and somewhat of a DIY legend (creator of fabled Minibooster and Mosfetbooster circuits) so is worth supporting!

kothoma

Ettore_M

Hey, jimilee! I have done a single-sided layout for the H&K Red Box (Classic, I think). I don't remember well, but it's half SMD. I could easily make a thru-hole version of it, too. If you're interested, I could post it. But then again, it's not verified..

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jimilee

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 15, 2013, 12:05:15 AM
Hey, jimilee! I have done a single-sided layout for the H&K Red Box (Classic, I think). I don't remember well, but it's half SMD. I could easily make a thru-hole version of it, too. If you're interested, I could post it. But then again, it's not verified..

Hector
That sounds great, for a solder by numbers bassist, what is an H&K Red Box?

RobA

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

Ettore_M

Quote from: kothoma on August 15, 2013, 06:03:10 AM
Quote from: RobA on August 15, 2013, 12:49:18 AM
Quote from: jimilee on August 15, 2013, 12:31:33 AM
... what is an H&K Red Box?
I'm guessing this guy http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=110
Yep, a speaker simulator and DI box. Tuned to 4x12" I think.
Yes, indeed! I'm gonna be building this thing. I want to use it to record guitars direct from my amp, without using an attenuator or a microphone. Both are a little expensive for me, and I heard that this thing sounds really good!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

raulduke

The AMZ Op-Amp project PCB is also a nice option:

http://www.muzique.com/tech/opamp_multi.htm

I built a reamp and DI with these PCB's and they both work fine and sound great!

kothoma

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 15, 2013, 08:10:01 AM
Quote from: kothoma on August 15, 2013, 06:03:10 AM
Quote from: RobA on August 15, 2013, 12:49:18 AM
Quote from: jimilee on August 15, 2013, 12:31:33 AM
... what is an H&K Red Box?
I'm guessing this guy http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=110
Yep, a speaker simulator and DI box. Tuned to 4x12" I think.
Yes, indeed! I'm gonna be building this thing. I want to use it to record guitars direct from my amp, without using an attenuator or a microphone. Both are a little expensive for me, and I heard that this thing sounds really good!
Yes, forgot, it also takes speaker level signals.

Ettore_M

Yes. It has Amp In, Line In, and balanced XLR output and Speaker Output. This way the signal is finally "attenuated" in the speaker itself, and you get your guitars recorded from the XLR without using a microphone.
When I'll build ths thing and verify it, I'll post a build report and a build document.

Hector
- Culturejam

kothoma

I've seen schematics of several versions of the Red Box.
But the speaker simulation always looks quite simple, a ROG Condor should be vastly superior.
What's nice is the input section with line in and speaker in/through.

RobA

Personal preference here but if you are taking the signal into the digital world after the DI, then forget doing the speaker sim in analog and use a 5-band parametric EQ on the digital side. You can get much closer to actual speaker/cab frequency responses this way and it is far more flexible/easy to change between various different enclosure geometries, number of speakers, etc. Even if you are just going into a board with high and low shelf plus one or two parametric EQ's you can probably get a better cabinet sim than you'll get out of any of the analog versions of cabinet sims I've seen.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).